cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Upgrade?

Wifiproblems
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 21

I've had numerous texts and emails about a free upgrade eg 'We recently contacted you about arranging your upgrade to full fibre, as part of a nationwide upgrade.

As a loyal TalkTalk customer your upgrade is available at no extra cost.

You won’t pay any more than you do today, and you’ll get a full fibre broadband service with faster average speeds, that is up to 5x more reliable.'

I've just rung, but was told that there is, indeed, a charge for this upgrade (ie NOT free, and I will have to pay extra).  What is going on?

20 REPLIES 20

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 1 of 21

For the benefit of @Wifiproblems  and @adyang1972 

some people are able to keep a phone line with their full fibre upgrades but it seems to be very sporadic and in some cases has needed a lot of pushing from the person purchasing. So yes @adyang1972 if you want to keep your landline its something to consider.

Here are some examples of people keeping landlines - either through a limited VOIP trial or what seems to be a hybrid model - atleast one person has kept phoneline with upgrade to FTTP and others have been offered it:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Future-Fibre/Received-email-Reminder-that-amp-quot-Your-upgrade-... 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Future-Fibre/Future-Fibre-Free-Upgrade/m-p/2858837#M1446 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Future-Fibre/Thoughts-about-losing-landline-with-upgrade-to-Futu... 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Free-upgrade-to-Fibre-150/m-p/2857958 

@adyang1972  as suggested, you might get more help on your own thread 

I am a customer just like you. I'll try to help based on my experiences over the years getting issues sorted out in my TalkTalk services!

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 21

OK, then you have had a different offer, I suggest you start your own topic so that this can be looked into on an individual basis. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

No not the case, I have enquired and have been categorically told I will loose my phone line

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 21

@adyang1972 TalkTalk are offering FTTP upgrades to certain customers whilst allowing allowing them to keep their current landline.

0 Likes

adyang1972
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 21

What TalkTalk is not tell you is that you will loose your phone land line because they do not have a voip phone service, so if you want to keep your phone land line cancel this free "upgrade" or they way I see it downgrade.

0 Likes

adyang1972
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 21

I have looked into this, what TalkTalk are not telling you is that you will loose your phone line because the do not have voip phone service, so if you want to keep you land line cancel your automatic full fibre upgrade.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 21

@nic1987 Please re-read both what Ady and I said. I am sure that the OP will be back if they need any further help. 

0 Likes

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 8 of 21

stick to topic @ferguson ?

Ady did not update the OP on the issue so I did 🙂 

I am a customer just like you. I'll try to help based on my experiences over the years getting issues sorted out in my TalkTalk services!

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 21

@nic1987 I am sure if the OP needs any further advice they will ask for it. 

0 Likes

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 10 of 21

Hey @Wifiproblems - ady has written on another thread that the phone teams have been rebriefed and should give you the offer without any new contracts of price changes - we aren't alone - lots of other people on this board and elsewhere with same issue - so don't worry about some of the negativity on here.

If you retry calling - let us know what happens  - or you can comment here too  

the free upgrade might be worth it because others are getting upgraded to fibre150 - so worth pursuing. But people also reporting issues with getting connected/accounts set up 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

@Ady-TalkTalk please do look into this and the accuracy of the advice you are giving us.

Both @Wifiproblems and I have called the phoneline on the email from talktalk and been told we have to pay for the free upgrade. So @Ady-TalkTalk if you consider that we have followed your advice and been told by the team we have to pay - might there be something wrong in the advice you are giving?

Of note @ferguson is talking about ADSL to FTTC free upgrades. I see from an extensive search of this forum back to the beginning of last year, that completely commitment/price free ADSL to FTTC upgrades have been successful for lots of people.

The same search also revealed that over the last 6 months people like me and @Wifiproblems have reported issues with having to pay for "free upgrades" - and from what I can see this is for FTTC to FTTP upgrades via cityfibre/ofcom. I shouldn't be having to tell you this by the way - but I was incredulous that Ferguson said OP and I were spreading misinformation (lying!!), and Ady you seem to also be doubting our experiences.

@Ady-TalkTalk Please do report back on what you find out - specifically on the offer of "free upgrades" from FTTC to FTTP through the phoneline 0800 990 3631.   I can only tell you that I have called the team 3 times and been asked to pay and sign up to a new contract each time. The treatment of customers trying to report a problem to your teams is not very good. 

@Wifiproblems  I have raised this issue with TalkTalk a few times since October last year. Just denials so far (or being called a liar !! 😂😂). You can escalate your concerns - the ICO are interested in emails which provide false information, and Ofcom are interested in customer experiences/marketing practices. You could just copy and paste your initial post to them and explain what the people on the phone had offered to you.

Talktalk complaint: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Raising-a-complaint/ta-p/2204670  (or email CEO)

ICO: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/ 

Ofcom: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints

Message 12 of 21

Hi Wifiproblems, the offer of a free upgrade is genuine. You won't have to pay and your contract length isn't affected. Why someone is telling you other than that I can't say. I can look into this for you though and have sent you a personal message to get more information. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 21

@nic1987 I am glad to see you have started your own topic. 

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 14 of 21

@ferguson the OP reported the same experience as me, and I am confirming that there is something wrong here. If you received the email perhaps try calling it for yourself and seeing what happens, before accusing people (myself and OP) of being liars (e.g. kindly stop spreading misinformation).  If you have not received the information or made the phone call - could it be that you don't know whats going on with the team who receive the phone calls? That there might be something wrong and you don't know about it?  I have posted this on my own thread, but I am allowed as a community member to write things in support of other peoples queries - much like what you do as a "community star".

@SocialTeamJo said if the email comes info@consumer.talktalk.co.uk then it is a genuine free offer without cost or contract term changes. I received the email from that address, called the number twice and told both times I am signing up to a new contract and there will be a price increase. Needs investigating and OCEs need to look into whether the advice they give is still correct

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 21

@nic1987 I have notices that you have posted on a number of other members topics. TalkTalk are offering free FTTC upgrades to customers currently on an ADSL service. There is nothing sinister in this, nor are they marketing emails i.e. they are not trying to sell anything. If you have had issues with this offer yourself then please start your own topic. Otherwise, kindly stop spreading misinformation across the forums. 

0 Likes

nic1987
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 16 of 21

I called 0800 990 3631 today which is the number on the email from info@consumer.talktalk.co.uk. They tried to sign me up to a new contract and put me on a new 18/24 month contract. I asked them why the team here said it would not change my contract length or price. They said that the system automatically updates people who have full fibre in the area to get the free upgrade - this way the contract does not change. I asked how I can get this update as I have full fibre to my house already. She said she did not know.

So in short these emails and texts are marketing emails - which is irritating/illegal as I opted out of marketing emails. 

Hoping to save others from the incorrect info given just before my post.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Hi Wifiproblems,

If the emails have been sent from the above correspondence address and you wish to take up the free upgrade, please respond to Openreach's SMS to confirm an appointment.

There’s no change as a result of this upgrade and your contract term and monthly charges will remain the same. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Thanks. 

Jo

Message 18 of 21

Jo - I have had multiple emails and texts advising me to contact talktalk to upgrade free of charge.  And I've confirmed they weren't spam.  If this isn't the case - why are they being sent? With the result that I now have to spend time on the phone and on this forum to sort out as well.....

SocialTeamJo
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 21

Hi Wifiproblems,

We have sent correspondence to some customers advising of a free upgrade at no extra cost, I'm really sorry for any confusion caused.

Have you received an email from info@consumer.talktalk.co.uk?

Thanks, 

Jo

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 21

It sounds plausible, TalkTalk have been doing this for many customers as they move away from the copper-based network. I suspect the agent you spoke to may be unaware of this. The support team here will be back online from Monday and will hopefully be able to clear this up for you. 

0 Likes