cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN Issues

Bluebird86
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

I work from home and use a VPN.

I have noticed in recent months access to the VPN has been affected.

I have a 7year old router which talk talk have acknowledged doesn't support my VPN access but say they can do nothing about it. Online chat were unhelpful and refused to supply me with a router even though they said that's the issue. Other people have had their issue resolved by being sent a new router.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi

We are a bit of an impasse, we are unable to resolve the VPN issue and can only relay this to our devices teams to test for a future firmware.  If you did want to terminate your services, you can contact our Customer Loyalty Teams directly.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Hi Debbie,

I have tried my neighbours WiFi and that allows me to connect to my work VPN so it's clearly a TalkTalk problem. This will either need rectifying or I will need to be released from my contract as your are not supplying me with a useable internet connection.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi Bluebird86

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I'm not sure what else to suggest as we have updated the firmware. Is this the 2nd router you have tested with?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Hi,

I have tried connecting via ethernet cable whilst on the phone with my work IT department and still won't connect to the VPN. I have also tried powering down and restarting as you suggested and still no VPN access.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Hi Bluebird86

Thank you and apologies again for this issue.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

I will try this later today as I'm heading in to the office today to work.

I haven't tried connecting wired as the router is downstairs and the home office upstairs but will take it downstairs tonight and try.

I will get back to you later.

Thank you

Message 7 of 21

Hi Bluebird86

Apologies for this.

Please can you try powering down the router for 30 minutes and retesting?

Have you also tried connecting wired?  VPN should work on this firmware version.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi,

No sorry still unable to connect to the VPN.

The error message refers to "because the router or other network devices between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VPN connection."

My place of work are looking in to this too but seems to be a mystery at the moment.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi Bluebird86

Sorry for the delay.

The firmware has now updated, please can you retest?

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 21

This will be picked up on Monday, @Bluebird86, as staff are not on here at weekends. With luck they may catch this before 9am, as some start very early. 

Leave the router on ALL the time meanwhile, as that's the only way for updates to happen either automatically or if staff push software through.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 11 of 21

Hi,

I have installed my new router. Please can you do the update to ensure I am able to connect to the VPN as i'm still unable to do so currently.

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Hi Bluebird86

I've a new router on the way to you.  Let us know when this is connected and we can check the firmware is correct for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 13 of 21

No worries. TalkTalk Support here will know exactly what's needed to support IPsec VPN passthrough. When you set up the replacement router / Hub, TalkTalk will be here to make sure you have the Hub software updated to ensure you're connecting via the VPN.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 14 of 21

Apologies, I don't know what that is.

Work have replaced my laptop and I still have issues so i'm just trying all avenues.

Message 15 of 21

I believe that'll be using an IPsec protocol.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

See above - apologies had to phone IT

The VPN software is Microsoft RRAS IKEv2

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

The VPN software is Microsoft RRAS IKEv2

Message 18 of 21

The HG635 is a good router with VPN passthrough. It is certainly a bit old so I'll request an up to date replacement.

The Wi-Fi Hubs may require specific firmware to work with some VPN clients so it's going to be very helpful if you tell us which VPN software / service you are using.

0 Likes

Bluebird86
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 21

The router is a Talk Talk HG635

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 21

Hi Bluebird86 

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the customer email address and account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

TalkTalk can then link this post to you as a customer.

What model router did TalkTalk supply? Which VPN Client software or service are you using?