cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN ROUTER ISSUE

kwalampur
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

I recently upgraded to Sky Q and when being installed, the engineer reported a number of problems that led me to request a new router. I received a new Sagecom router.

Since I plugged the unit in I have had problems connecting to my work VPN. there is a message

"The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common cause for this failure is that at least internet device (for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider."

The workplace IT guys has pointed to the router as being the root cause ( accidental pun)

Apparently there is a firmware solution to this.

I have a second problem in that Sky make periodic calls to my new Sky Q box to ensure it is where it should be. I lost my internet based service after a few weeks and it seems that Sky could not get through. An engineer came out and blamed the router firewall.

How can these issues be resolved please?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi kwalampur

Do you still need help with this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 2 of 4

Hi kwalampur

Please can you update your Community Profile to include your name and TalkTalk landline number, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 3 of 4

Hi @kwalampur,

The two issues may be related, certain firmware versions on the Sagemcom can cause issues with VPN connectivity, and it tends to be caused by the firewall rules blocking certain communications, so those firewall rules may also be affecting the Sky box.

The support team here will be able to take a look at this, and if your router is running a version of firmware that is know to cause issues like this they will be able to change the firmware to a version that is more reliable with VPN connectivity, that should resolve the VPN issues, and you would then be able to see if it also resolved the other issue too.

For one of the TalkTalk Support Team on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include :

• Your name
  • Landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on (this is shown in ‘My Account’) OR add your account number to the ‘private notes’ section if you have Full Fibre with no landline
  • An alternative contact number

This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk Support Team on this community can see your profile details).

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.