cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN no longer works after new telephone socket fitted

Paul Atreides
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

Hi everyone,

Been working from home OK for past 2 years using a works computer and VPN Global Protect. Last Wednesday internet went down for entire house. Called Talk Talk, made checks re-set router. In end they arranged for Open Reach to come round on Friday. New telephone socket then fitted and broadband back up and working for my TV, tablet own computer. Started up works computer, signed into VPN OK but I cant connect with works servers. If I log out of the VPN I can still access internet OK on the works computer.

I think the router re-set has removed something.

I seem to remember either works IT or Talk Talk had me go into router setting and tweak something so VPN worked OK 2yrs ago.

I have raised issue with my works IT and waiting for update on Monday.

If anyone has any idea what needs to be tweaked in router settings appreciated.

DSL-3782

Regards Paul

Paul Atreides
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Morning,

Ok thanks for the update.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Hi @John_G 

You're a star. Just did the MMU fix and now VPN works and I can access systems at work from home. I went in today and work gave me a new base unit after testing old and as VPN appeared scrambled. They gave me a new base unit, worked with and without VPN through router at work. Came home plugged it into Talk Talk router and new base unit worked OK but as soon as I turned on VPN it was exactly the same as before. no connection. Pulling hair out. Did your fix on Talk Talk router and now I'm into works servers OK at home. Cheers Paul

Paul Atreides

Message 3 of 9

Hi Debbie, 

I take that back, i do not need a new router issue fixed.

Thanks Richard

Paul Atreides
0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Hi Debbie,

Yes please, if you can send me a different model router if you feel that might work. 

Cheers Richard

Paul Atreides
0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi Paul

I'm sorry to hear this.

I think we should send a different make and model of router. Are you happy for me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

John_G
Problem Solver
Private Message
Message 6 of 9

Just a guess but see the thread below, someone had to change the MTU setting on the router to get their Global Protect VPN working:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Palo-Alto-GlobalProtect-VPN-Client-D-Link-3782-MTU-siz... 

I wonder if maybe you changed that a couple of years back and the change got lost recently.

0 Likes

Paul Atreides
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Skynet_TX ,

Thanks for the reply.

I only got the current router from Talk Talk 2 yrs ago after starting to work from home and the even older router was around 6 yrs old and had issue with the VPN but that was just slow and not completely broken.

Will see what works IT and Talk Talk come back with tomorrow.

Regards Paul 

Paul Atreides
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Paul Atreides,

The combination of the older D-Link routers and the Global Protect VPN often causes issues. The support team here will be back tomorrow, they may just suggest that they send you a new router to resolve this issue.