cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN won’t connect

Nules
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 18 of 18

@Skynet_TX 

do-you work for talk talk then or just advise based on knowledge?

My VPN won’t connect - i don’t know if talk talk are blocking it as it was fine up until 3pm yesterday - 

I have seen on here that sometimes a firmware update has resolved the issue? 

can someone look into this urgently please?

thank you 

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi Nules

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 18

@Michelle-TalkTalk yes please - how long will this take to arrive do you know? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hello,

Ok thanks for confirming. We can try and send a different make and model of router, would that be ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

@Michelle-TalkTalk  Yes I tried that yesterday after some upgrade talk talk said may help and it didn’t the issue still persists? Is it not possible to have an engineer out to look with a new router to replace if needed or something like that? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Morning,

We have just re-checked and this definitely has the correct version of firmware which should work ok with VPN. Have you also tried a 30 minute router power down as this will reset the current session?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

@Debbie-TalkTalk I have heard a new router sometimes helps? I would be keen this is sent asap as I really need to be able to work from home - can you do this? I have connected to my vpn for testing purposes via my phone hotspot so I know it’s the router? 

0 Likes

Private Message

Message 7 of 18

@Debbie-TalkTalk it wont let me PM you. But here you go and delete after if you want as I don’t know what else to do 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi Nules

Could you send me a Private Message with the serial number from the back of your router?

0 Likes

Nules
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 18

@Debbie-TalkTalk @I did that on two occasions yesterday or maybe more and nothing worked? 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hi Nules

Thank you. I've checked and your router has the correct firmware version which should work ok with VPN.

Have you tried factory resetting your router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

0 Likes

Nules
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 18

@Debbie-TalkTalk @Morning Debbie my number and details should already be in my profile for you! Yes the router is on now 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 18

Hi Nules

Is your router switched on at the moment?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 13 of 18

Hi @Daviesm,

You will need to start your own topic for the support team here to be able to help you, but as mentioned above, if you have the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub then this issue may have been caused by your firmware upgrading.

For one of the TalkTalk Support Team on this community to be able to look into this you will need to create your own topic, and update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in your new topic, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk Support Team on this community can see your profile details).

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to your new topic tomorrow.

Daviesm
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 18

Today my Talk talk stopped connecting to my work VPN. IT at work said it’s an issue with my internet provider. Wi-Fi working on other devices at home. Rang Talk talk who told me after doing diagnostic testing that everything was fine from their end & told me it was an issue with my work laptop. Tonight I connected to my work VPN using two separate hotspots so I know it isn’t anything to do with my laptop/work connection. I have the Sagemcon router & have tried resetting it, checking settings etc to No avoid. Really frustrating as I’m unable to work from home & it’s a busy time with closure of accounts.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 15 of 18

@Nules,

It is a bit strange for it to happen in the middle of the day, but the support team here will be able to check this for you tomorrow.

I don't work for TalkTalk, I'm just a customer like you, but there are a group of us that help out here on the community that are known as 'Community Stars', so we are familiar with common issues that affect lots of customers as we spend a lot of time here on the community trying to help people.

Many people with the Sagemcom have experience VPN issues when their firmware upgraded, the only odd thing here is that you lost access mid way through the day, as firmware upgrades would normally happen overnight, but when the team here are back in the morning they will be able to look into this for you. If it has been caused by a firmware upgrade then they will be able to fix it by making another change to your firmware.

0 Likes

Nules
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 16 of 18

I’m not sure how I find that out I just know it’s called checkpoint ? 

but yes that is the router that I have. All I know is that I worked fine until 3pm yesterday then it cut out and stopped working and won’t connect to VPN since. Anyone in my trust on talk talk seems to be having the issue. 

how long will it take to fix as it’s seems to be pretty widespread and causing many people not to be able to work? 

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 17 of 18

Hi @Nules,

If you have the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub then this will probably have been caused by the firmware upgrading to a new version. Although this would normally happen overnight, so are you saying that you last used the VPN successfully at 3pm yesterday, but then today it would not work ?

What VPN software do you use, or is it the built in Windows 10/11 VPN ?

The support team here will be able to help, if you do have the Sagemcom they will probably be able to fix it by changing some router settings or changing the firmware, they will hopefully be able to reply tomorrow.

0 Likes