cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WAN DHCP client (1) stopped

unhappycustome1
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 32 of 32

My home broadband connection has been dropping on the WAN link multiple times a day for the last few months. I have reported it many times to talk talk through the support chat service and still nothing has been done. I work from home and so many of my meetings have been interrupted. I am really at the end of my temper and do not know what to do.

When I look at the router logs, at the time the problem occurs I get the message

WAN DHCP client (1) stopped

and the LED on the router goes from white to orange for about 3-4 minutes.

I am also getting lots of 

ErrorDNS
DNS name resolution failure (_dns.resolver.arpa)

occurring every few minutes, sometimes more frequently.

I have raised multiple support cases with the chat and nothing ever gets resolved

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

Message 1 of 32

Line test is passing but your sync speed is quite low and I can see that the connection is dropping. Would you like us to arrange another engineer visit?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 32

Thank you.

Another observation, after the Openreach engineer visited a few weeks ago and made changes the noise margin on the line (reported by the router statistics) increased. I assume the engineer increased the signal level.  However I just checked and it looks like the noise margin returned to its original level that it was a few weeks ago, here are the current stats

Line 1
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 23583 5940
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 22892 5940
Noise Margin [dB] 0.00 3.00
Attenuation [dB] 25.50 0.00
Power [dBm] 10.10 6.80

You can see the noise margin is very low again. I am wondering if some settings have been changed at the exchange again.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 32

I'll re-escalate this for you, @unhappycustome1.

Staff will reply after the weekend. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 32

Hello

Our ADSL connection is still dropping about once a day, at this time all connectivity is lost and any calls underway get dropped for about 3 -4 minutes until the connection comes back again. I always see this in the router logs

26.11.2023 09:38:43 Info DHCPC WAN DHCP client (1) started
26.11.2023 09:38:41 Info XDSL VDSL connectivity is up port 1
26.11.2023 09:37:23 Info LETH An Ethernet port is now connected (2/10/FULL)
26.11.2023 09:37:17 Info LETH A device has been disconnected from an Ethernet port (2)
26.11.2023 09:36:40 Warning DHCPC WAN DHCP client (1) stopped
26.11.2023 09:36:39 Info XDSL VDSL connectivity is down port 1

It is better than a few weeks ago when it was dropping multiple times every day.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 32

Hi,

I've checked the logs, there were a couple of two minute drops on the 12th, non on the 13th or 14th and a couple yesterday. When there are two drops it seems to be one in the morning and one in the evening. Is your router currently connected to your test socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 32

Hello

I just want to report that whilst our XDSL connection stability has significantly improved since the Openreach engineer made the changes the connection is still dropping approximately once a day.   The router's LED changes from white to orange for a couple of minutes then back to white. I get a lot of these DNS lookup errors in the logs, it happened again about half an hour ago:

15.11.2023 19:38:27 Error DNS

15.11.2023 19:38:06 Error DNS
DNS name resolution failure (4a921d4f1868fd6664711ea0010f65cd-adf0901f1861.cdn5.forter.com)
15.11.2023 19:38:06 Error DNS
DNS name resolution failure (4a921d4f1868fd6664711ea0010f65cd-adf0901f1861.cdn5.forter.com)
15.11.2023 19:18:22 Error DNS
15.11.2023 19:15:02 Error DNS

0 Likes

Message 7 of 32

Hello,

Thank you for the update. As advised, if you could create a new topic in the Billing Section please then our colleague Arne will be able to assist with this.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 8 of 32

@unhappycustome1, when sent out by customer service agents (rather than forum support staff) they seem to carry a charge.

Post in the billing section for Arne to take a look, with reference to this thread. He will be back after the weekend.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 9 of 32

Hello Karl

I am pleased to report that our ASDL connection to the exchange has been much more stable this week. The connection was dropping several times a day for the last few months but this last week since Openreach made adjustments it has been much more stable.

There is just one problem though, Talk Talk has now added an extra £34.95 to our monthly bill for the supply of a wifi hub. I can only assume this must be a mistake, rather than being charged extra I would have expected to be receiving compensation for the terrible broadband service we have had since August!  Can someone please look into this and remove it from our bill?  Yes, TalkTalk did send a replacement router to test and yes I returned the old one in the plastic postage bag provided.

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 10 of 32

Hi

Glad the engineer has made some adjustment, monitor this week and let us know how it goes later in the week.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 32

Hello all

The Openreach engineer visited yesterday and ran tests on our line. The signal-to-noise ratio was low (as I pointed out 8 weeks ago) and he made some adjustments, I assume boosting the signal from the exchange, so the noise margin is now 6dB (was 3dB).

He also did a DLM reset.

So far the connection has been up for 24 hours. I think we need to give it several days to see if better.

Thanks for organizing the Openreach visit. It's just a shame it took 8 weeks to get to that point.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 32

Hi

Excellent, Openreach have confirmed the appointment here also.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 32

Hi @unhappycustome1 

please confirm acceptance of engineer conditions so the appointment can go ahead.  

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 14 of 32

Hi

Can you confirm your ok with the engineer charges so I can relay this to Openreach, or they will not visit.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 15 of 32

HI 

PM sent regarding openreach booking.  Can you reply and confirm you are ok with engineer conditions.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

unhappycustome1
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 16 of 32

Hopefully it worked that time.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 32

Hi

I'm sorry, but we have not been able to Verify account identity with the details provided.

If you do not have a telephone password set, you can do this via My Account

Please also see our Article : Setting Up a Telephone Password If you require assistance with this.

If you do have a Telephone Password set, you can request an email reminder from withn My Account. Simply Click your Name at the top of right of the screen, select Profile & Settings then My Details & Passwords from the drop down menu.

Scroll down and select Telephone Password. This will then give an option to send the password to your registered email address.

Thanks

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 18 of 32

Hi

Sent you another PM 🙂

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 19 of 32

Hello Karl,  Many thanks.  I just replied to the secure link.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 32

Hi

I've sent you a PM to confirm some info before we look to arrange an Openreach engineer for you.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes