cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WIFI OPTIMISATION

Chris1012
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 104 of 104

I recently switched to Talktalk broadband and I'm having issues with WIFI optimisation and channel hopping causing certain devices to disconnect from the WIFI network. From reading these pages I understand that a Talktalk employee can disable this feature on my router? Please can this be actioned?

0 Likes
103 REPLIES 103

Message 1 of 104

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update. If you could see how it goes over the next few days we take another look at it early next week to see if it's been stable and if there's been any speed increase

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 104

Hi Chris,

The engineer arrived ~1.30pm, spent ~20 minutes in the house doing a line test and then left the house to do more checks outside the house (presumably at the street cabinet), he didn't return until ~4pm! He made some changes outside the house, but didn't go in to any details. He did say that the maximum download speed (from his testing) would be 50-55mb/s. This conflicts with what the router has been syncing at (60-61mb/s), which doesn't decrease even during the dropouts. The engineer could not explain the router syncing at ~60mb/s given his test results. This also agrees with what the second engineer said (my download speeds were 8-10mb/s faster than any of my neighbours). I've looked at the router stats to see what the noise margin is and it shows 0 dB, which can't be correct (appears this is yet another bug in the router firmware!). The actual download rate (53430) is also higher than the maximum download rate (51867), which again is odd. The router is currently synced at 54mb/s and I have had no dropouts since ~4pm on Tuesday, but it's really too early to tell if the problem is fixed. If the router sync speed increases and the dropouts return I think something needs to be done to cap the download speed so that the line remains stable.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 104

I've booked the engineer for tomorrow afternoon - June 25 2024, PM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 104

Thanks Chris, just had another dropout ~1.15pm

0 Likes

Message 5 of 104

OK, I'll book the engineer now and get back to you with the details

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 104

Hi Chris,

There is obviously still a fault somewhere if the number of disconnections is not typical. I don't see that there is any other option but to have yet another engineer visit if you don't know what the cause of the disconnections is (I certainly don't know!). 

I can fit around any am/pm visit this week.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 104

No the number of disconnections isn't typical. It's hard to say if the issue will resolve itself as I don't know what is causing the disconnections but we can arrange another engineer visit now if you prefer

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 104

Hi Chris,

Is the problem likely to fix itself without an engineer visit? There have been ~20 dropouts since the last engineer visit on 1st June, which I assume is not typical for a 'normal' line? 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 104

OK thanks, we can arrange another engineer visit to investigate further, would you like us to do this or hold off for a few days to see if the disconnections continue?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 104

Hi Chris,

What you describe (stable until the connection randomly drops, often multiple times a day) is what has been happening since the start of May, so for nearly 2 months now!

The router is plugged directly in to a wall socket (the same socket that my previous ISP's router used with no connection problems). The DSL cable is plugged directly in to the master socket.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 104

Hi Chris,

I've checked the connection history for the last few days and most of the time the connection looks really stable with a very low error count but then it just drops the connection now and again for about a minute. Is the router connected to a multi-socket electrical extension lead shared with other devices or connected directly to a wall socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 104

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately I spoke too soon since the VDSL dropouts have returned. Since my last post I have had another 7 dropouts at random times over the past few days. Hence, whatever the engineer did on the 1st June seems only to have been a temporary fix and the problem has now returned!

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 104

Hi Chris,

That's great news, thanks for the update 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 104

Hi Chris

It’s been over two weeks since the second Openreach engineer visit on the 1st June. There were several VDSL dropouts in the first few days following the visit, but over the past ~10 days the line has been stable. This is a significant improvement compared to the whole of May where the line would typically drop several times (or more) each day. I can only assume that the additional corroded line connections found by the second engineer were the cause of the dropouts. I will continue to monitor the router log and will post back here should the line dropouts return.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 104

Hi Chris,

We've made a note of the tracking so you shouldn't be charged.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 104

I would expect a 48 hour service to take less than ~10 days, even with a bank holiday weekend! I just don't want to end up with a £50 fee added to my bill for 'not' returning the router (I have proof of posting/collection).

0 Likes

Message 17 of 104

@Chris1012, mine took 6 days to  show as delivered, including a weekend.

Remember that 21st century Royal Mail cannot compete with the Victorian era....!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 18 of 104

OK thanks. Regarding the returned router, it's not showing at our end yet but I've made a note of the tracking number on our system

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 104

Hi Chris,

OK, I'll monitor the connection over the coming few days and get back to you.

Please can you also confirm receipt of the second router that I returned on Friday 24 May using your return packaging/label (it was sent to check if the existing router was the cause of the dropouts, which it wasn't). The Royal Mail tracking number is XE965364596GB and has been shown at 'Home Counties North MC' for over a week now.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 104

OK thanks Chris. Could you see how it goes over the next few days and if the disconnections continue we'll probably need to arrange another engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes