cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WIFI OPTIMISATION

Chris1012
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 92 of 92

I recently switched to Talktalk broadband and I'm having issues with WIFI optimisation and channel hopping causing certain devices to disconnect from the WIFI network. From reading these pages I understand that a Talktalk employee can disable this feature on my router? Please can this be actioned?

0 Likes
91 REPLIES 91

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 92

Hi Chris,

That's great news, thanks for the update 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 92

Hi Chris

It’s been over two weeks since the second Openreach engineer visit on the 1st June. There were several VDSL dropouts in the first few days following the visit, but over the past ~10 days the line has been stable. This is a significant improvement compared to the whole of May where the line would typically drop several times (or more) each day. I can only assume that the additional corroded line connections found by the second engineer were the cause of the dropouts. I will continue to monitor the router log and will post back here should the line dropouts return.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 92

Hi Chris,

We've made a note of the tracking so you shouldn't be charged.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 92

I would expect a 48 hour service to take less than ~10 days, even with a bank holiday weekend! I just don't want to end up with a £50 fee added to my bill for 'not' returning the router (I have proof of posting/collection).

0 Likes

Message 5 of 92

@Chris1012, mine took 6 days to  show as delivered, including a weekend.

Remember that 21st century Royal Mail cannot compete with the Victorian era....!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 6 of 92

OK thanks. Regarding the returned router, it's not showing at our end yet but I've made a note of the tracking number on our system

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 92

Hi Chris,

OK, I'll monitor the connection over the coming few days and get back to you.

Please can you also confirm receipt of the second router that I returned on Friday 24 May using your return packaging/label (it was sent to check if the existing router was the cause of the dropouts, which it wasn't). The Royal Mail tracking number is XE965364596GB and has been shown at 'Home Counties North MC' for over a week now.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 92

OK thanks Chris. Could you see how it goes over the next few days and if the disconnections continue we'll probably need to arrange another engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 92

Hi Chris,

Since we last spoke on Friday I had 8 dropouts on Friday afternoon/evening and 2 dropouts on Saturday afternoon just before the engineer arrived at ~2pm. He found more corroded connections on the line further away from the property, which he replaced. He also reset the line and put it on a ‘permanent profile’. He left around 3.30pm. Since then I had 2 dropouts on Saturday evening at ~9.30pm and 2 on Sunday morning at ~6 to 7am. I have had no further dropouts since Sunday morning, but that’s only 24 hours and my speeds are much lower than they have been. Since there were 4 dropouts after the engineer visit on Saturday I think there must still be a fault somewhere.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 92

Hi Chris, how did you get on?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 92

Hi Chris,

I've had a text from Openreach so I can see the engineer will visit between 1pm to 6pm tomorrow. Since we last spoke I've had a further 4 VDSL dropouts, so that makes 6 so far since 3pm (~90 mins). I will let you know what the engineer says tomorrow.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 92

Thanks Chris, will that be 'any time from 1PM'? It was with the last Openreach engineer visit.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 92

I've booked the engineer appointment for tomorrow afternoon - June 01 2024, PM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 92

OK, I'll book it for the first available slot (except for the two you've mentioned) - I'll let you know when I've booked it

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 92

Anytime apart from tomorrow morning or Sunday afternoon

0 Likes

Message 16 of 92

OK, when can you be available for the engineer visit?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 92

Hi Chris

I've just had another two VDSL dropouts in the past 10-15mins. I think you need to arrange another engineer visit to get this fault fixed.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 92

Hi Chris,

Yes, there was a profile change last night which will be the cause of the disconnection. It's possible that there have been two separate issues, the first one fixed by the engineer and this a separate issue, but as I've said, if the disconnections continue we can arrange another engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 92

Hi Chris,

I have had one further VDSL dropout overnight at ~1am. I assume this is the DLM trying to sort out the connection after the numerous dropouts on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Yesterday I spoke to one of my neighbours who is with BT. He said that they had '1-2 dropouts for a few minutes at ~9pm on Wednesday'. This agrees with when my dropouts started on Wednesday evening, however, I then had ~24 dropouts over the next 9 hours! Surely, 'mass event' or no 'mass event' my experience cannot be 'normal' and indicates a fault somewhere? If my experience is 'normal' then you would be inundated with complaints every time a 'mass event' happened! The recent dropouts are just one of many that have happened over the past month, they all can't be caused by 'mass events'.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 92

Although as the Openreach engineer told me, unless a dropout happened whilst a test was being performed they would be very unlikely to detect the fault. Since the ONLY thing connected to my master socket is the Talktalk router, the cause of the dropouts can only be the router/Openreach phone line/Openreach or Talktalk equipment in the cabinet/exchange. We tried a second Talktalk router (which I have since returned) and that didn't solve the dropouts. This only leaves the Openreach phone line and Openreach or Talktalk equipment in the cabinet/exchange.

0 Likes