Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WIFI hub changing wireless channels automatically after manually changed

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Participant

hello, i just wanted to know if anyone else is having problems with the wifi hub when you change the wireless channel for a better connection for example i have put it on 8 through the settings and a few hours later i found out it has gone back to wireless channel 1? has anyone got a possible fix for this as this is quite frustrating.

Mkhan
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Mkhan16

I'm sorry to hear this.

It sounds like the hub is changing the channels to get the best performance. Is the performance worse on the channels automatically selected?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Yes because that specific channel is congested by other networks I believe and the performance is quite slow at peak times on fibre speed boost 

Mkhan
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Mkhan16

Ok, please can you factory reset the router for ten seconds using the pin hole reset and then test this again?

Please let us know if you still experience this issue following the reset.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hello after the reset I saw when it was setting up it was on fine on channel 8 then 5 minutes later I see that the same problem occurred (going to channel 1 which is busy in My area) please can you get back to me on this 

thanks!

Mkhan
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Mkhan16

Apologies for this.

I'm looking into this further and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Mkhan16

Please can you update your Community Profile to include your TalkTalk telephone number.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Yes it either goes back to 1 or 11 depending on where I change it to and they are both pretty slow and congested in my area any kind of tips to fix this would help!

thanks, mo

Mkhan
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Mkhan16

We are looking into this further and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive additional information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant
Same problem here on the 5G channels, I set it at Ch36 (quiet here) and it annoyingly jumps to 40 or 44.
Highlighted
Participant
I’ve been told the WiFi hub switches to the best channel so I just left it and it also could be some sort of bug.
Mkhan
Highlighted
Participant
I'd say a bug, as it overrides our manual setting
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

This is not a bug.  Our optimisation tool will look at the wifi traffic around you and will make changes if interference is detected.

Other wifi routers around you, albeit with other providers etc, will usually be set to auto and will hop between channels as they detect any interference, so our monitoring system will also react if interference is detected.

Our system will also use band switching when devices are on the move, such as phones or tables around the house, if they are capable of using both the 2Ghz and 5Ghz wifi frequencies.

Our system will also learn more about the devices you have as time progresses.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Participant
Thanks for the response.
Highlighted
Participant

Hello I just wanted to know what a remote management facility is as someone has told me about this because I am still having issues with the wireless channels so I called up TT and they said it’s a fault with my router and they are sending a new one out ? I have asked them how to turn off remote management but they ignored me and went on to run diagnostics p.s is it possible if one of the oces at your end would do this for me ? Thanks 

Mkhan
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

It is not possible to turn off remote management.  There can also be other reasons why wifi can fail.  If a router shows a high number of errors on the wifi for transmit and receive, then this could indicate a possible router issue.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Participant
So far I have not been impressed with the automatic channel selection, however the WiFi works well so I can live with it. Many powerful WiFi channels in the 5GHz band now springing up at my location. i.e. Whole House solutions!!
The WiFi hub is a capable device in this regard and I have a rock solid connection. Well done Openreach also.