cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Why does my broadband keep failing?

mackerel
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 26

I am having ongoing problems with receiving a continuous and stable internet connection.  I feel fairly certain that the problem is with the 2.4ghz channel, as items connected to this channel keep failing

• Sometimes everything appears ok, and then I have no internet on wifi
  • As I look on my laptop at the “Network and Sharing Centre” I can see the connection coming and going as the wifi attaches and the detaches itself.
  • I cannot always persuade a cable connection to work, either.
  • Although a speed check shows an acceptable download of up to 19mbps, sometimes the actual speed is too slow for most websites to load, including your dashboard
  • Current speeds between 1 and 3mbps
  • I cannot stream a complete programme on TV either through cable or wifi
  • I get messages about unstable internet connection
  • Zoom gets cut off in mid-conference
  • Your dashboard takes a minute or so to load
  • When I try to find information on the dashboard, I get thrown out and have to log in again.
  • The dashboard typically looks like this, although the internet is connected.
  • mackerel_0-1717352784121.png

• The dashboard does not recognize all devices (including my laptop) when they are connected.

CAN YOU PLEASE FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY?  IF YOU CAN’T PLEASE HELP ME TO CANCEL THE CONTRACT

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 21 of 26

Keith

I rather think your response is limited in its scope.  Despite what you say, my internet is NOT working.  Although I'm typing this I am having to wait to pounce when the internet is working to be able to send it.  I just tried to refresh this page and it refused.  I know Chris has kindly offered to help, but I think a less dismissive response from you would be appreciated.  I would like you (Talktalk) to take responsibility for what's happening (or not).

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 26

s this also affects wired (Ethernet connections), then as you say the problem is not purely WiFi. When you get the problem, what happens to the white light on the front of the router? Have you tried moving the router temporarily to the test socket, which is behind the master socket's removable faceplate (if you have that design)? Please can you try it with a new microfilter?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 23 of 26

Hi mackerel,

I can see that Keith has kindly offered to help you with this. I've checked your connection and your router is in sync at 23Mbps with a low error count.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 24 of 26

Keith

Many thanks for your comments.  Specific points:

• it's not just wifi, but cable connection that suffer the same issues.
  • I couldn't reply any sooner, as the internet was not available.  I've just re-booted the router and I am on-line - for now.
  • This isn't the type of internet I signed up for.  I expect to be able to use it without messing about all the time.  What happens to customers suffering in the same way who are just unable to understand any of this?
  • Following the re-boot, I'm on 5ghz and it's working
  • I will have one go at optimisation, so please send me instructions.  Thanks for the offer.
  • I have renamed devices any number of times, and after each outage I usually have to do it again.

Once again, many thanks for offering to help.  It's a shame that you are Talktalk's first resort - I would hope that they would step up as soon as anyone has a problem

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 26

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Where your router is not recognising some of your devices this is easy for you to sort out. Click on the Manage My Devices button & from there select Manage Advanced settings. You will see a list of the devices currently connected. Click on any of them & from there you can rename them to what you want, plus set a suitable icon.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes