cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Why does my broadband keep failing?

mackerel
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 26

I am having ongoing problems with receiving a continuous and stable internet connection.  I feel fairly certain that the problem is with the 2.4ghz channel, as items connected to this channel keep failing

• Sometimes everything appears ok, and then I have no internet on wifi
  • As I look on my laptop at the “Network and Sharing Centre” I can see the connection coming and going as the wifi attaches and the detaches itself.
  • I cannot always persuade a cable connection to work, either.
  • Although a speed check shows an acceptable download of up to 19mbps, sometimes the actual speed is too slow for most websites to load, including your dashboard
  • Current speeds between 1 and 3mbps
  • I cannot stream a complete programme on TV either through cable or wifi
  • I get messages about unstable internet connection
  • Zoom gets cut off in mid-conference
  • Your dashboard takes a minute or so to load
  • When I try to find information on the dashboard, I get thrown out and have to log in again.
  • The dashboard typically looks like this, although the internet is connected.
  • mackerel_0-1717352784121.png

• The dashboard does not recognize all devices (including my laptop) when they are connected.

CAN YOU PLEASE FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY?  IF YOU CAN’T PLEASE HELP ME TO CANCEL THE CONTRACT

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Hi mackerel

The engineer visit has been arranged for 14/06 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 26

Michelle

I am happy top accept your recommendation that an engineer should visit.  I am not available for an engineer's visit until Friday 14th June - am or pm is OK

0 Likes

Message 3 of 26

Hi mackerel,

If your connection is unstable at the test socket with 2 different routers then the only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit to the property, if your connection is still unstable. Ultimately we can arrange the engineer visit for you and would recommend you having one if all the above has been tried, but we would still need you to agree to an engineer visit. If you'd like us to book it then please provide a few dates and we'll book this in for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

Chris

You are the support team with expert knowledge of your systems.  I cannot possibly say whether I will accept charges you may arbitrarily decide to pass on to me.  You need to decide, and take responsibility for, any steps needed to support your customers.

This is exactly the same problem as happened before.  You may have made it work for a while but it is faulty again.  I will take your refusal to take responsibility for any actions to resolve the current problems as acceptance that Talktalk are unable to supply the service contracted.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 26

We do have TalkTalk engineers but they can only check your setup, they wouldn't check for faults on the line, this would have to be an Openreach engineer 

To investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer visit and to do this you would need to confirm that you accept potential engineer charges as outlined in the help article I linked too. 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 26

You need to make it right, so you decide whether an engineer comes out.  It is beyond my level of understanding to say whether an engineer is needed.  I've had engineers before and there is still an unacceptable level of service, so YOU DECIDE how to fix it.  Also, the engineers who come out are Openreach.  Don't you have any Talktalk engineers?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 26

Hi Mackeral,

Line test is passing and router is in sync at a good speed, error count is very low, there are some reconnections showing but I can't see what is causing the router to disconnect. Line test isn't picking up anything so the engineer would be to investigate the way you say the connection is performing. There would only be a potential charge based on the information in the following help article - Engineers charges

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

Chris

What I'd like is for Talktalk to supply the service I contracted.  If you (YOU, not me) think an engineer needs to visit as you don't know how to fix it, then YOU should decide to send him.  I haven't a clue what's going on, nor of the skill sets of your team, so how can I possibly say whether he is needed.

It's up to Talktalk to fix it

0 Likes

Message 9 of 26

If you'd like us to investigate further then we would need to arrange an engineer visit. to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

If you are unable to resolve the issue I'll leave it to you to decide whether you need to send an engineer

0 Likes

Message 11 of 26

OK, all we can really do is arrange another engineer visit. If you'd like me to do this please let me know and I'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Only one

0 Likes

Message 13 of 26

OK thanks. Do you just have one telephone socket in your home?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 26

Chris

I really don't know - there are so many breaks I don't keep a record of them, but I'm sure they would coincide with what I have experienced.  Is it part of an acceptable service to have all these outages?

Also, it isn't just the total outages, it is the frequency and unpredictability, as well as the fact that despite the system saying it is on line, it is so slow that all websites time-out before they connect.

I have said before in my other thread- I bought a service where I am connected when I want.  This isn't such a service.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 26

OK thanks. These are the reconnections showing over the last few days, does this look about the same as the disconnections that you're experiencing?

03/06/2024 15:37:31
03/06/2024 13:45:43
03/06/2024 10:39:24
31/05/2024 20:54:38
31/05/2024 20:54:31
29/05/2024 16:44:22
27/05/2024 18:21:47
23/05/2024 18:01:24
23/05/2024 15:24:11
23/05/2024 15:02:55

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 26

No  phone problems

0 Likes

Message 17 of 26

Hi Mackerel,

Are you currently experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 26

I will pass this back to TalkTalk now, as the white light going out from time to time points to an unstable connection.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 26

Keith - many, many apologies - my comments about limited scope were addressed to Chris not to you.  I addressed it in error.

Sorry

0 Likes

Message 20 of 26

Keith

Thanks.  The router is not permanently visible, but I haven't noticed the white light going out.  I have a new openreach socket so no microfilter.   I have a 5c socket and there is only the phone line socket behind the plate

0 Likes