cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wi-Fi clients disconnecting every day

philipmarkevans
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 26 of 26

Hi,

My TalkTalk router has started disconnecting Wi-Fi clients every day, which means I either need to restart the router or disconnect/ reconnect or restart the clients. Examples include my MacBook, Mac Mini and HP printer. It is driving me mad as I didn’t have this issue until recently (TalkTalk service had been flawless for 18+ months). 

Do you want to see the logs, or can you send me a new/ different router?  I have sagemcom one. 

thanks,

phil

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Hi Phil

I'm so glad to hear this 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please post back on this thread to let us know.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

philipmarkevans
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 26

Hi Debbie,

Yes thank you - has been very stable for the past few days. 

Happy for you to mark this case as closed (if that’s what happens).

Regards

phil

Message 3 of 26
0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply.

I've also split my SSID's for my HP printer, mine will only connect on 2ghz.

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Message 5 of 26

Hi Debbie

I think changing the channels helped - particularly 5Ghz onto Channel 100.  However, several devices were still hopping between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz so I renamed the 5Ghz network and forced a few devices to only use that.  My Plex server and HP printer have remained accessible since these changes.  Note, I also downloaded a WiFi scanner app and found the HP printer was broadcasting its own 5Ghz network called 'HP Direct-xyz' and disabled that and I also moved the Mac Mini away from the printer, which may also have helped to some extent.

Anyway, thanks for the support on these issues and fingers crossed, I'm back to a boring network that 'just works' 🙂

Phil

Message 6 of 26

Hi Phil

How are you getting on, how has the connection been?

Message 7 of 26

Hi Phil

Apologies for this.

I have switched the WIFI optimisation off. Please can you test a few different wireless channels and let us know how the connection compares?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

Hi again,

Sorry to report that several of my devices started to hop between 2.4 and 5Ghz networks again on a frequent basis. It wouldn’t bother me too much if Wi-Fi connectivity was reliable but it isn’t. A couple of examples:

- my iPad Pro suddenly loses Wi-Fi connection and I need to force a reconnect manually

- my Mac Mini running Plex Media Server disappears from the local network so my Plex clients can’t see it. However when I log onto the Mac Mini and toggle Wi-Fi on and off again, it works fine again for a few hours, maybe up to 1 day, before disappearing again.

I tried disabling the 2.4Ghz network to see if it helped but unfortunately I need it for my EZVIZ and Blink cameras so this isn’t an acceptable long term option. On my original router I had tried renaming the 2 networks and attaching specific clients to specific frequencies but even that resulted in issues. 

Am really confused why this is happening - I haven’t fundamentally changed anything in the house, certainly nothing in the router settings in recent months, and obviously we’ve ruled out the router hardware being at fault. Maybe the latest firmware is causing issues leading to devices dropping off and reattaching?

To be honest I am thinking of replacing the Sagemcom router/ modem at this stage.

Do you have any other suggestions?

phil

0 Likes

Message 9 of 26
0 Likes

philipmarkevans
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 26

Thanks Chris - will monitor over next few days and let you know if any issues

Phil

Message 11 of 26

OK, the firmware update should complete within a few minutes, please don't switch off your router

Chris

Message 12 of 26

Hi Phil,

I'll update your firmware now

Chris

0 Likes

philipmarkevans
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 26

hi Debbie

yes that’s fine - please go ahead anytime. 

regards

Phil

Message 14 of 26

Hi Phil

Apologies it appears that the firmware didn't update overnight.

Would you like me to update the FW today? We advise to leave the router switched on without being rebooted whilst we update the firmware.

This should take no longer than 15 minutes to update.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 26

Hi Phil

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please can you keep the router switched on and the firmware should update overnight.

I will check this again in the morning.

Thanks again

Message 16 of 26

Thanks Debbie

I've received the new router and swapped out the old one.  I changed the wifi network name and password to the same as the old one to avoid having to update all my devices and basic internet connectivity seems OK.

However in the admin settings I notice that I can't see anywhere to set pre-assigned IP addresses - everything is assigned by DHCP - whereas on my old router I was able to assign a couple of fixed IP addresses to my Mac mini server and printer.  Is this because I'm now on an older Firmware? It shows as SG4K10001400t.  If so, can you trigger an update to the latest firmware or will this happen automatically (overnight)?

Thanks

Phil

0 Likes

Message 17 of 26

Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

philipmarkevans
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 18 of 26

Hi Debbie,

Im happy to try that - let me know if you need any details or can get my address etc from my account number in my profile notes. 

thanks,

phil

Message 19 of 26

Hi Phil

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 26

hi Chris/ Karl,

The router worked ok for a couple of days after reset, but started dropping Wi-Fi connections again today. 

please advise,

thanks

phil

0 Likes