cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wi-Fi lost to Thermostat

Vonney
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 11

The Wi-Fi connection to my Nest thermostat dropped out and despite resetting the router & the thermostat I’m still not getting a connection. I keep getting a message saying that my network is either hidden or out of range -neither of which is true - the router is about 12 foot away from the thermostat. I’ve been in touch with Google & they’ve sent me a replacement but I’ve noticed lits if people have posted about this same issue. Before I go through the rigmarole of installing a new thermostat I want to check whether the fault actually lies with TalkTalk network or equipment?

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Vonney

Ahh it's no problem. I'm glad everything is working for you again 🙂

Thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Thanks for picking this up. I received a new thermostat front from Google and fitted it/set it up today. Normal service has been resumed!!! 🙂. Must have been a software fault in the thermostat.

Sorry for starting hares running but when the issue started I checked the TalkTalk community and posts on there led me to think it was a TalkTalk issue! As if 🤣🤣😂😂😂

Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your help @KeithFrench 

How are you getting on Vonney?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 11

From a mobile, it can be difficult as you have to use the "Show sections" and "Show subsections" which look greyed out. Plus where the logs are concerned they cover many more pages than those seen on a desktop.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Vonney
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 11

I’m using a mobile. I’ll try from a pc later.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 11

Please can you give me a screenshot of this, are you using a PC or mobile device to access the router's UI?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Vonney
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 11

Hi,

I’ve tried to access maintenance logs about 6 times, but every time I get to step 5 of your instructions (TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub) I just get taken login screen and keep going round in the same loop!!!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 11

Please can you log into the router & go the logs:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub > Maintenance > Logs

Please do not try & filter them out. Then find any log entries for the time when u try to connect this to the router & paste them into your reply.

The security mode is automatically negotiated between the device & router and they choose the highest one that they both support. This would normally be WPA2 Personal, but it depends on how this is configured within your router.

Keith

0 Likes

Vonney
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 11

Hi @KeithFrench

The thermostat can connect to either band. The router is Sagem, which is fully connected - stable light on the front.

Doorbell, fire/smoke alarms, TV & phone are all on 5mghz according to router admin page. Nothing connected to 2.5mghz.

Completely at a loss at why thermostat can’t see or connect to router. Going to try new thermostat that’s been sent to me - in case it’s the thermostat that’s faulty. Just one question before I do this. Can you tell me what security of network is - if I have to manually type in router name it asks me select from a list. Is it WPA2??

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

Hi @Vonney 

Which WiFi band is the thermostat trying to connect to, the 2.4 or 5GHz band?

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes