cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WiFi channel not "sticking"

Warpcoil
Participant
Private Message
Message 31 of 31

I manually set my 2.4GHz wifi to channel 6, as most of my devices are in an area affected by a neighbours ch 1 router, which my router can't see, and therefore doesn't know it needs to avoid.

However, I'm lucky if my manual configuration sticks for more than a couple of days before switching back to Ch1.  I always know when this happens as connections get really flaky and I have to go up and set it back again.

What's causing this?
The router (TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K100136) isn't rebooting, I just thinks it knows better, from it's very limited view of the world.

There's also a security system operating on Ch11 in the other direction, also beyond what the router can see, hence my choice of ch 6.

I've already had to switch off my 5Gz completely , as it kept redirecting devices to use it, even though the coverage wasn't strong enough to make it usable.

For the last 6 months (or so) we've also see a lot more instances of "Wifi with no Internet connect" on devices, even when the wifi signal is strong and there's no problem with internet connection from ethernet-connected clients.

Dave
0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 21 of 31

I don't have any issue accessing the router now.

I recall (maybe incorrectly) that there was a later version of the firmware for this device, which had a problem with alternative DNS servers being set, causing issues with access to employers networks.

Do you have the release notes for the latest firmware?

Dave
0 Likes

Message 22 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

Just to confirm, do you mean that you are unable to log into the router admin page to make changes?

0 Likes

Message 23 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

I'm just checking this with the Devices Team and I will post back shortly.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 24 of 31

I'm aware of a later version that doesn't allow the use of alternative DNS, which would be an issue for me.

Is this "the latest" or has that since been fixed?

Dave
0 Likes

Message 25 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

Thanks for your reply. 

Would you like me to update your router firmware to the latest version to see how the connection compares?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 31

So far, so good, at least the router is staying on ch 6, so we're not getting the interference.

Still getting the odd "wifi connected, no internet" when the Ethernet devices are fine.

Not tried re-enabling the 5Ghz band yet.

Dave
0 Likes

Message 27 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

How's the connection been since the WIFI optimisation was switched off?

0 Likes

Message 28 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

I have switched the WIFI optimisation off, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

Warpcoil
Participant
Private Message
Message 29 of 31

I like the way you put "optimisation" in quotes, as I have lots of alternative terms for that behaviour.

Why would they do this?

Yes please SWITCH IT OFF.

Do you have any fixes for the "wifi no internet" issue or a way that I can enable 5Gz without it further compromising connectivity?

Dave
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 31

There is a network-based "optimisation" system which can override your individual choices for WiFi channel settings. The support team here can turn that off for you, would you like them them to do that?