cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WiFi channel not "sticking"

Warpcoil
Participant
Private Message
Message 31 of 31

I manually set my 2.4GHz wifi to channel 6, as most of my devices are in an area affected by a neighbours ch 1 router, which my router can't see, and therefore doesn't know it needs to avoid.

However, I'm lucky if my manual configuration sticks for more than a couple of days before switching back to Ch1.  I always know when this happens as connections get really flaky and I have to go up and set it back again.

What's causing this?
The router (TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K100136) isn't rebooting, I just thinks it knows better, from it's very limited view of the world.

There's also a security system operating on Ch11 in the other direction, also beyond what the router can see, hence my choice of ch 6.

I've already had to switch off my 5Gz completely , as it kept redirecting devices to use it, even though the coverage wasn't strong enough to make it usable.

For the last 6 months (or so) we've also see a lot more instances of "Wifi with no Internet connect" on devices, even when the wifi signal is strong and there's no problem with internet connection from ethernet-connected clients.

Dave
0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

Hi gcotgreave,

As Keith has advised, can you please start your own thread/topic in the appropriate support section and we'll be happy to help - Help with your service - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 31

Hi @gcotgreave 

The router UI does not allow the WiFi Optimisation setting to be changed, only TalkTalk can do this.

If you want help, you cannot use someone else's thread.

To get help, you must start your own thread. To create your own thread, go to the main page for the board in question & click the "Start a topic" button.

TalkTalk insists on one thread per problem per customer. Please note, TalkTalk makes the rules, not me.

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 31

Is this something only tech team can do? Is there no setting in the "My Connection" area?  
Channel 36 clashes with my neighbour, I keep moving it out of the way and reducing the width from 80 to 40 and everything works fine. Then some random time later, it gets set back to channel 36 and 80 and clashes again!  
This "optimisation" is clearly not optimal

0 Likes

Warpcoil
Participant
Private Message
Message 4 of 31

The console is still "flaky" - sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not.

You can tell if it's going to work, even before logging in, if the FW level is showing or not,

It is strange that the login and screen navigation all work but there's no content - and yes, the wifi was enabled and working when I took those screenshots.

Most of the actual functions appear to be stable, except I had a panic a couple of days ago when one of my clients was filling it's event logs with messages about UPnP failures, which matched the timing of events in the router log, that just repeated "UPnP functionality has been activated".

The console session timed-out, and when I which back in it was non-functional, so I powered the router off/on and it all started working properly.
Some interesting features in this FW version, such as "Guest wifi", which I assume allows access to the Internet but not local services (drives, servers, printers)?

Dave
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 31

Hi @Warpcoil 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help with this. The issue that I have seen with V174 is that sometimes when logging in to the router, the GUI just freezes & you have to log out & go back in again. I notice that one of the screenshots seems to suggest that the WiFi is disabled, I assume that this is just the UI misreporting things. However, there is another known problem that if you disable one or both bands, then the only way to get them back, fully functional, is to do a factory reset of the router.

As I have not seen the exact problem that you seem to have, I would suggest trying a factory default (pin reset) of the router & if that does not fix it, then this router must be faulty.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 7 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

Thanks for your feedback.

@KeithFrench is this the same issue you experienced after 174 FW update?

0 Likes

Warpcoil
Participant
Private Message
Message 8 of 31

Quick update

The router seems to be functioning fine, with fewer (but still some) instances of "wifi with no internet connection"

However, the local console is very flaky.  Sometimes most of the panel s work, while other time, such as now, every panel shows a dead box doing nothing without even the firmware version number. Though the box is actually working!

See attached.

and BTW can you have a word with the forum Admins and get them to allow *.jpg attachments and not insist on having to change the extension to "jpeg" every time.  For many people it wouldn't be obvious why attaching windows screenshots doesn't work 🙄

3.jpeg2.jpeg1.jpeg

Dave

Message 9 of 31
0 Likes

Warpcoil
Participant
Private Message
Message 10 of 31

Thanks Debbie

It's up and running, and everything I've checked so far is fine.

I'll let you know in a couple of days if it seems any more stable.

:crossed_fingers:

Dave

Message 11 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

Thanks for your reply.

The router firmware has now been updated.

Debbie

Warpcoil
Participant
Private Message
Message 12 of 31

In that case, any time this morning should be fine.

Just drop a post here when it's done.

Thanks

Dave

Message 13 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

This should stay the same, the firmware update does not factory reset the router.

Warpcoil
Participant
Private Message
Message 14 of 31

Can I just check, will it retain any configuration changes that I've made,  such as static addresses for printers, or will I have to enter those again?

Dave
0 Likes

Message 15 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

Apologies, we were waiting for you to confirm if we could go ahead and update the firmware.

Please let me know what time would be best today to do the firmware.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 31

Hi,

We're back and the update hasn't happened.

I see you'd connected about 14:11, so before I'd given the go-ahead.

Did you decide to not to do it on a Friday afternoon, when I wasn't around to check, in case it was having issues over the weekend?

Dave
0 Likes

Message 17 of 31

Whenever you're ready.

We need to go out for a couple of hours anyway.

Dave
0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

Hi Warpcoil,

Would you like us to update the firmware now, it can take up to 10  minutes to complete?

Chris

Message 19 of 31

Thanks for checking.

It sounds like "update to latest" might be a good plan. 👍

Dave

Message 20 of 31

Hi Warpcoil

The latest firmware has the fix for the issue with VPN. We don't have the full release notes sorry.

0 Likes