cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wired Connection Problem

kdmcm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

This morning, one of my (wired) machines won't connect to the network.

In the router admin page, I see a red question mark superimposed on the "wired connection" icon.

There are two other wired machine on the net both working fine.

Can anyone help, please?

I could reboot it, but I'd sooner know what went wrong.

I'm concerned about my router as, less than a week ago, the 2.4GH portion of the WiFi went down, which you helped me with. 

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

kdmcm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 17

I never established which was the defective machine. The question mark is still there, but no machines are malfunctioning at the moment.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Morning,

Thanks for the update. If you would still like us to take a look then please can you create a new topic and we'd be happy to take a look for you.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

got a new router of netgear nighthawk R-7800 and everything backed to normal. this does not solve the issue i mentioned above, but at least proved my ipcam and pi are fine.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi @williamwatson

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you create a new topic on the Community, we can then look into this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

williamwatson
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 17

I am having a similar problem(s) at the moment.

my router went down on Storm Barra. Eventually, the router back up through factory reset after exhausting any options can be thought of, also with the help of the TalkTalk engineer. However, there is a question mark on one of one wired channel. The question marked channel is connected to my IP camera and/or raspberry pi. It does not matter which channel I chose to connect with these two devices, i.e. if I connect with the RJ45 port 1, the port 1 will have a state of "down", if I switch to port 2, it will show the port 2 is "down". I also tried to directly connect the raspberry pi right beside the router (by shorting the wire), the port will show "up" state, but the pi appears not connected. In summary, now my router no longer support my raspberry PI and IP Cam although the PI has worked for me for 3 years and IP Cam has worked for more than 6 years without a problem. I am in the process thinking to buy a third party router instead of this SageComm. I will appreciate it very much if anyone have any suggestions on similar experiences.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi kdmcm

Apologies, I'm not sure why one device is showing a red question mark.

The only other option is to test with a different router.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

I moved the machine to a different connector and rebooted the router. I still can't connect , and the red question mark remains.

I'm reluctant to go to factory settings. It would be good to know what the red question mark means, though.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Hi Skynet_TX,

How are you getting on, have you tried Skynet_TX's suggestions?

Chris

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 17

So if it is only one of your machines that won't actually connect to the router, can you try connecting that machine to a different ethernet port on the router.

If you do this does the problem machine still not connect, just trying to establish if the problem follows that one machine to different ports, or if anything plugged into the one specific port on the router does not connect.

I'm assuming it is a router issue if the symbol is still there even if no devices are connected, have you tried rebooting the router (or even factory resetting it) when no ethernet devices are connected, just to see if that clears that symbol.

Note that a factory reset would lose any settings that you have ever changed in the router.

0 Likes

kdmcm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 17

I've disconnected all wired devices from the router and the red question mark on wired devices (no particular wired device) persists. Someone knows what it means. The software engineer didn't put it there just because he was bored one afternoon.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Again, this red question mark is not associated with any ONE particular device. It is imposed on the icon for "wired devices".

As in all of them.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Sorry, no there's not really anything that we could look at. What type of the device is the one experiencing connection issues?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Nah. Rebooted everything. Is there some diags the staff could look at on the router and tell me if there's a conflict or something?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Sorry, I was referring to the network cable connected to the machine that won't connect to the network.

So after rebooting everything and reseating the cables the same machine still can't connect to the network?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

Which network cable? The "wired connections" icon has a question mark on it. I don't get any clues as to which machine or IP is problematic. I've replugged all 3 cables, rebooted the modem, rebooted the machines... problem persists.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Hi kdmcm,

I would just initially try unplugging the Ethernet cable and plugging it back in and if that doesn't resolve the problem just reboot the machine

Chris

0 Likes