cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

speed problem

Lesman
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 269 of 269

Hello.

I have a contract for a Fiber35 package. The download speed is about 27 Mbps and the upload speed is about 6 Mbps. On February 23, the speed suddenly dropped to about 13 Mbps to the router and 11 Mbps to the PC. A line check showed a problem. On March 2, an engineer arrived. After his visit, the speeds did not change much and the line test continued to show the problem. After about three weeks, the line test shows that everything is fine, but the speeds to the router are 18 Mbps and to the computer 15 to 16 Mbps. This situation continues to this day. I don't understand why the speeds can't go back to normal as they were according to the subscription, and it's been over a month! My neighbor has Internet on the same network and still has normal speeds and we are connected the same way!! I do not understand! I'm still using the original router and cables I received when I first connected, and why is the speed difference 2 to 3 Mbps? Please explain this problem to me and help me get back to normal.

0 Likes
268 REPLIES 268

Message 41 of 269

Morning Les,

I'm glad to hear this and please let us know if anything does change.

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 42 of 269

Since this "router miracle", the internet speed has been constantly at 34-35 Mbps.

This phenomenon is still incomprehensible to me.

I apologize for only replying now, but I was away from home.

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 43 of 269

Hi Lesman,

Sync speed is 35Mbps, is everything OK at your end?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 44 of 269

Hi Les,

Thanks for confirming. We'll check your connection stats again in a few days to see if the sync speed is still remaining consistent.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 45 of 269

Hi Chris

Yes, but this router was previously turned off twice for over an hour.

And every time it was turned on it was like a new session and nothing changed.

Maybe there was some work on the line?

The speed is still at 34 - 35 Mbps since yesterday's post

Les

0 Likes

Message 46 of 269

Hi Lesman,

It does seem more likely that it was the start of a new session that caused the speed increase rather than the change of router if switching back to the old router maintained the same speed. How has it been since your last post?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 47 of 269

I would agree with that, but I had previously restarted the router twice. It had been off for over an hour and there was no improvement. Only by installing another router did it improve. Could it be that my router is freezing or is reaching the end of its useful life?

Les

0 Likes

Message 48 of 269

Sometimes just switching off the router can enable a new session to start at the exchange and it should be one of the first things to try whenever you have problems with speeds.

Possibly you just left things unplugged for long enough this time, @Lesman!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 49 of 269

Hi Arne

On August 14, the engineer repaired it and the speed returned to normal (around 34 Mbps) to gradually drop after about three days and on August 20, the router loses connections to drop to about 8 Mbps, increase to about 15 Mbps and to this day maintains the level of 13 to 18 Mbps, which is below the "guaranteed minimum".

Restarting and other magic does not change anything.

I wanted to do a connection test but I can't because I still have previous reports open for which I received information about their completion a long time ago.

I connected another router and suddenly the speed increased to 35 Mbps. Shock! I returned to my router and the speed was the same - 35 Mbps. The router switching took place about an hour ago.

What's wrong? Switching routers took about 15 minutes and suddenly after six days of problems with the speed, the router with the low speed returns to normal? I don't understand any of this. Will this be the end of the problems that have been going on for over a year or is this a temporary outburst before the next problems?

Can you explain this to me?

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 50 of 269

Auto compensation does not cover speed issues , only total loss of services.

0 Likes

Message 51 of 269

Hello Debbie!

Two days after the repair and so far everything is fine. The problem was in the connection cabinet. The speed remains at 33 Mbps.

After the repair, the router (I received it about 4 weeks ago) could not handle it, it throttled the speed - on the cable it was 35 Mbps and to the computer it let 21 Mbps. It was replaced with an old router from before the failure.

Have you started the case for compensation for failures over a year?

Best regards.

Les

0 Likes

Message 52 of 269

Hi @Lesman 

I've arranged the next available PM appointment which is 14th August PM. I've also added a note to the fault ticket to advise that this is a repeat fault. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 53 of 269

Hi Michelle
Yes, please arrange for an engineer to come in this afternoon. Openreach can you advise that this has been a recurring problem for over a year and there have been ongoing issues with the line.
Les

0 Likes

Message 54 of 269

Hi Les,

I'll book it now. Just to confirm, the first available PM appointment right? If the fault did re-occur then we'd ask Openreach to investigate again and advise that it's a repeat fault.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 55 of 269

Ok. I confirm a possible payment for the engineer's visit.

Question - what if the problem returns quickly after the visit? Is there a guarantee period for the good quality of the repair service?

I expect action regarding compensation for more than a year of internet problems.

Les

0 Likes

Message 56 of 269

Hi Les,

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry to hear that the speed hasn't improved. If all testing has been done at the test socket with a different router then you have done everything that is requested, so the chance of an engineer charge is very small, but we have to ask all our customers to confirm before we can book an engineer visit. 

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 57 of 269

Nothing has changed. The speed is just as low at around 9 Mbps.

I see that the most important thing is my payment confirmation and not the quality of the services I pay for. For over a year, on average around a month, an engineer has been coming, fixing something and coming back again, etc. I don't get what I pay for and no one thought to compensate me for this "quality" of services? That's not a problem. Only the payment in the other direction?

Will TalkTalk finally stabilize its services and find an engineer who will do it once and for all?

I'm sorry, but I'm slowly getting tired of this confusion and losses that I incur working on such internet.

Les

0 Likes

Message 58 of 269

Thanks Les. If there is no change then we can book an engineer visit if all testing has been previously completed at the test socket with a different router. We also just need you to confirm that you accept the possible time related engineer charges too please.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 59 of 269

OK. I can do it now.

Les

0 Likes

Message 60 of 269

Hi Les,

It would be worth rebooting the router just to see if there is any change. Would you like to try this first?

Michelle

0 Likes