cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

speed problem

Lesman
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 157 of 157

Hello.

I have a contract for a Fiber35 package. The download speed is about 27 Mbps and the upload speed is about 6 Mbps. On February 23, the speed suddenly dropped to about 13 Mbps to the router and 11 Mbps to the PC. A line check showed a problem. On March 2, an engineer arrived. After his visit, the speeds did not change much and the line test continued to show the problem. After about three weeks, the line test shows that everything is fine, but the speeds to the router are 18 Mbps and to the computer 15 to 16 Mbps. This situation continues to this day. I don't understand why the speeds can't go back to normal as they were according to the subscription, and it's been over a month! My neighbor has Internet on the same network and still has normal speeds and we are connected the same way!! I do not understand! I'm still using the original router and cables I received when I first connected, and why is the speed difference 2 to 3 Mbps? Please explain this problem to me and help me get back to normal.

0 Likes
156 REPLIES 156

Message 141 of 157

I filled out the PM. I registered with you more than 10 years ago and I don't remember everything. What's next?

0 Likes

Message 142 of 157

I can see that Gliwmaeden2 has pointed you in the right direction, please let us know if you need any further assistance

Chris

0 Likes

Message 143 of 157

Top right when signed into the forum, you should see a number, @Lesman. click there to reveal the message envelope and click again to open it.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 144 of 157

Sorry, but I don't know where to find "PM"

0 Likes

Message 145 of 157

Thanks but could you please answer the security questions in my PM

Chris

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 146 of 157

Yes, please book. My mobile number is XXXXXXXX REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS 

0 Likes

Message 147 of 157

Ok, if you'd like us to book an engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 148 of 157

Hi Chris

Yes of course. Please let me know when.

0 Likes

Message 149 of 157

Hi Lesman,

To investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer visit, if you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirms some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 150 of 157

Hi Debbie

Got a new router today. Thank you.

After connecting, I measured the speed both with the standard connection and through the test socket. Nothing has changed, the results are the same as before replacing the router.

0 Likes

Message 151 of 157

Hi Lesman

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 152 of 157

Yes please.

I just want to point out that the speed you measure to my router still reaches a maximum of 18 Mbps. My router is over 12 years old.

0 Likes

Message 153 of 157

Hi Lesman

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing so we can rule this out?

0 Likes

Message 154 of 157

Hi Debbie

After visiting the engineer, I only received e-mails about solving the problem and an e-mail about the increase in fees. I received nothing else. The router is normally connected to the socket. Yesterday I did a speed test through the test socket and the result was slightly lower, almost comparable to a normal router connection. Today's measurement has not changed. Regards

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 155 of 157

Hi Lesman

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests are clear but I can see re connections on the line and this will affect the sync speed.

Is the router connected at the test socket? Have we sent you a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 156 of 157

Hi @Lesman,

If there has been a fault on your line then this can cause your speeds to be reduced, however once things are fixed, and you have had a stable connection for a few days, the speeds would normally start to increase again. The support team here will be back tomorrow, and they will be able to check your connection to see if they can still see any reason for your reduced speeds.

It is totally normal for a speed test on your device to show a bit less than the sync speed to your router, I have a sync speed of 40, but the best I will get on a speed test, from an ethernet connected PC, is 37.8, this is completely normal and expected. But the fact that your sync speed has dropped from 27 to 18 is what needs to be investigated. I assume you have restarted your router, just to see if that gives you a faster sync speed.

It would be worth switching your router off for over 30 minutes, this will give you a new session when you switch it back on, this can help with slow download speeds, but doesn't often help with slow sync speeds, but it can't hurt to try.

For one of the TalkTalk Support Team on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include :

• Your name
  • Landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on (this is shown in ‘My Account’) OR add your account number to the ‘private notes’ section if you have Full Fibre with no landline
  • An alternative contact number

This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk Support Team on this community can see your profile details).

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.