cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

speedtest.net cannot be done for almost a week

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 24 of 24

speedtest.net cannot be connected. it happens not just today but almost a week.

is there any problems with your servers or anything i can do to fix this?

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 1 of 24

understood. i really don't know if the default level is medium or high coz i never login to the router and change anything.

the latest connection issue has been annoying me for months with everything checked to be "normal". i tried everything i could to help myself - disable anti-virus & firewall, replaced a new computer, added an additional wireless router for DHCP and wifi services...etc. all turned out to be in vain. finally, changing the firewall level in the talktalk router - DONE!

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Hi

Firmware updates are usually pushout automatically when they are ready so we would not normally notify customers of these as they are done usually overnight.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 3 of 24

Thank you Karl. Will the firmware update be informed in advance? i remember i haven't been told about any update or scheduled maintenance in the last 2 months.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Hi

Medium is the default level for the firewall settings so this is where it should be. I have had a report of a firmware update changing the firewall to high, so this is under investigation.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 24

not sure if this change to the default settings will have any impact to my internet security but it just gets the speedtest.net and the connection to the game servers working AGAIN!!!! i believe this is the intention of the talktalk system team to "enhance" the system security...

0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 24

i login to the router, advance control, access control, change the firewall level from High (default) to Medium, and everything is ok now.

thanks for all the help!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24
0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 8 of 24

All noted with thanks. will try later today and let you know the findings.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats also look ok. Is this the only site that you can't access? Can I just confirm, that you've recently tried powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and also tested with different browsers and also with a different device?

Thanks

0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 10 of 24

add already, thanks Chris!

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

Hi hk_586,

If you still need assistance can you please add your TalkTalk landline telephone number to your community profile 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 12 of 24

i can't do the speedtest from talktalk.co.uk (internet service provider's website) but normal internet browsing is ok.

also, i can't connect to most game servers. 

do any others having the same or similar problems?

can anyone suggest what i can do to fix my problem?

many thanks!  the same problem has been lasted over 2 weeks....

0 Likes

mtlevy
Team Player
Private Message
Message 13 of 24

ok, so you can connect to other speed checkers, decent speed, and the ping rate isn't bad either.

I'm assuming your internet connection works for just about everything else?

Got to admit, from the info, I'd be looking at something on your machine, rather than a problem with your router, or your connection. 
possibly a firewall/AV update (as more often than not those two run from the same company these days), or even an OS update.

Sorry, not sure what else i can suggest.

Matt, IT Pro (20-odd years poking at various technical bits), Gamer, Drinker of fine Real Ale
0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 14 of 24
0 Likes

mtlevy
Team Player
Private Message
Message 15 of 24

have you tried https://fast.com, or https://speed.measurementlab.net - just to see if its a problem connecting to speedtest.net, or a wider issue?

Matt, IT Pro (20-odd years poking at various technical bits), Gamer, Drinker of fine Real Ale

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 16 of 24

i did a speedtest from talktalk.co.uk and i still got the message:

Could not connect to the test server. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later.

0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 17 of 24

community profile updated.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 19 of 24

shall i call to arrange an engineer's onsite check ?

0 Likes

hk_586
Team Player
Private Message
Message 20 of 24

i tried yesterday to connect to some game servers but all returned with errors. can i know what has been happening? did other users have the same problems? please see attached the screen cap above.

0 Likes