cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Anyone who has lost access to their email

NickCox99
Participant
Private Message
Message 55 of 55

Just thought it may be worth me explaining what I've discovered... this is the story I can work out

Read these steps fully! So many people are saying 'I've changed my settings but it's still not working' ..... You need to read each step and action them, your account will not start working just by changing the settings!

1) Originally the email settings were not using encryption, which isn't great

2) Talk-Talk have decided to ensure email access uses encryption, this is a good move on their part

3) To encourage everyone doing this they have restricted any accounts to webmail only if they have not update to accessing email using encryption (the new settings), as per their email (I'm guilty of not doing this)

You need to Read these steps fully and....

1) Change your settings to the new setting on all devices, if any device is seen accessing your email using the old settings your account will be limited to webmail at some point

2) If you are too late, and you have already been restricted to webmail, you need to change all your settings asap, although this won't allow you to access your email yet, this will be in preparation for the next step... (so just change the settings and accept they don't work yet)

3) In this web page go to 'My Settings' top right of this screen, got to 'Personal Information' and put in the email addresses in the 'private notes', this will allow support to know what your email address is.

4) Raise a new topic/start a new thread on here asking the support guys (who are great by the way!), to reactivate your email.... If you don't start a new thread they won't see your new request. If you already have a thread just comment that you have changed all your settings and need your email reactivated.

5) Read these steps fully! Your account won't suddenly start working, it will take a few days for the guys to re-instate your account.

Hope that helps everyone. support guys, please update, change if this isn't correct.

54 REPLIES 54

arttaylor
First Timer
Private Message
Message 21 of 55

Wish I had seen this before wasting over 2 hours with the online support today! 

Time to dig out the old ipad i guess if thats whats been blocking it all this time.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 55

@davidh1, never ever ever post personal information details like an email address on the public forum. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; personal information,  Private Notes, at the end of that section to add your wife's address. Save Changes.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 23 of 55

Hi Ady,

Thank you. Could you please do the same for my wife whose mailbox is XXXXXXX REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS. 

David

0 Likes

Message 24 of 55

Hi davidh1, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 25 of 55

POP3/IMAP access isn’t turned on for this account.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 26 of 55

I have changed the server settings on my android phone. When I press Done I get the reply “ Couldn’t verify account.The user name or password are incorrect or POP3/IMAP access isn’t turned on for this account. Check your email account settings on the web, then try again”

The username is my email address and the password is the same as the one I use to get My Account. What else can be wrong?

LIZHELMAN
Participant
Private Message
Message 27 of 55

Hello! Im still waiting for my access to my IMAP MacMail to be re-instated. Ive added my email address in Private Notes. Hope this helps. 

LH
0 Likes

Edwin2
First Timer
Private Message
Message 28 of 55

I have been with TalkTalk for more years than I care to admit to and this is the most frustrating thing that I have ever endured with them. It does not make sense...  Their instructions do not follow the forms on the latest IOS release and the setting for windows 10 Mail, Outlook, and Thunderbird simply DO NOT WORK! I have even tried their chatbot and agent to no result (don't think they have much knowledge). Are TalkTalk forgetting that we are paying them for this abysmal service!  Tried to set up on 3 different email clients now with no success.  If they expect me to plead with them to restore my email account, I will put my contacts on gmail and choose another ISP when my contract expires

0 Likes

davidh1
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 55

Hi, thank you for the guide notes. I have changed the settings as stated, however, I am presented with the message 'unable to connect to server'. Can you help, please? Thank you!

0 Likes

Message 30 of 55

Nobody here can change your email client settings only advise you of the settings you may need to change to use TalkTalk Mail securely.

Yes, member NickCox99 has provided a 5 step guide for you. Did you get to step 5 and action that one. It's the important one.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 55

If I understand correctly you have changed my settings to those required by TalkTalk. Thank you. Do I now follow your steps 3 to 5? I am assuming this should sort out my Ipad. My wife and I each have mobile phones which cannot now access our emails. Do we follow your steps on these devices also?

0 Likes

markrayner
First Timer
Private Message
Message 32 of 55

! have changed all your settings and need your email reactivated. What else do I need to do?

0 Likes

Message 33 of 55

All TalkTalk Mail domains use the same talktalk.net host name secure port settings on up to date email software that supports secure mail encryption to the minimum required TLS 1.2 standard.

Applies to lineone.net onetel.com dsl.pipex.com and tiscali.co.uk and every other sister domain on the TalkTalk Mail platform.

0 Likes

davidh1
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 55

Does anything  different have to be done if your email ends in tiscali.co.uk and 

do the new settings TalkTalk have advised also apply in that case?

0 Likes

Message 35 of 55

OK, understood, so one thread/topic per customer, they just need to state in the thread they have actions the changes...

Message 36 of 55

No, they need to stick to one thread per issue and always update that thread to follow up. 

New topics get treated as new issues and waste staff time till they work out that the issue is already being addressed, @NickCox99.

Message 37 of 55

Sorry, I did see that but I would suspect it would be easier if people specifically stated what they needed to be done, I was suggesting they create a new thread saying something like:

'I've updated all my settings and placed my email in the private notes, can you please re-instate my account'

Otherwise they will probably be going around in circles if they don't confirm they have completed the other steps... just a thought...

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 55

@NickCox99, @Bennash does have their own thread, here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email/Talk-talk-emails-not-loading-on-iPhone/td-p/2956077

Details have not yet been completed in the profile. 

Message 39 of 55

By the looking at your activity, you have not done step 4) Raise a new topic/start a new thread ...... and in turn not done step 5 😀

0 Likes

Message 40 of 55

My settings are identical to this, still no luck ! 

BNash
0 Likes