cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Can't connect to external email through router

Hegian8
Chatterbox
Private Message
Private Message

Message 10 of 10

Hi - I have exactly the same issue as the title says, but Kidsafe is not activated so thats not the issue. I've also tried using a friends wifi who has the same talk talk router and it works fine as does mobile data. Same as webmoz, I can access mail on mobile or another router. Also I have another mail account with a different provider and that does work through my talk talk router. It seems to narrow down to the router does not like that particular mail provider. Also another quirk is that when I get a mail even on wifi, my iphone header comes up with the message body that I can see on the screen, but select it and its not in the mail box. The unread mail number also shows on the app icon, but if I select it, the mail box is empty and the counter for unread messages resets to "0" - It seems to indicate that at least on some level the router is talking to the mail provider

Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Apologies, I've been on an away-day. Thanks for confirming that the receipt of mail is now working.

The troubleshooting with different routers connecting to different ISP services doesn't point to an obvious root-cause other than not working via the TalkTalk network. So, what I was hoping to do is identify if TalkTalk were network blocking because the mail messages weren't fully authenticated. This is why I asked you for the Return-Path email domain as that is the one that the TalkTalk Mail system will check for a valid SPF file. It's quite possible that TalkTalk were network blocking for security but are now happy that the mail messages don't indicate spam content or other malicious content and are happy to let those messages through even if not fully authenticated.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

In the interim I have just brought over the talk talk router from my neighbour and hooked it up. I got exactly the same results - the main provider doesn't work, but my work account does. When the router is in his house, the main provider works fine. Anyway, I've hooked my own router back up and suddenly everything is working - I know it's not just the re-boot thats done it as I'd tried that several times when it first went wrong.  

Thank you so much for assisting and it would be nice to hear what you think the problem could have been in case I get a re-occurance, but I understand if your'e busy as it is actually now working.

Many thanks

Andy

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

For the email address you're having problems with select an email sent to a working mailbox and select View Source or Raw Header and look for the line starting Return-Path. What's the domain?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Also as I mentioned previously, it's not just outlook it's any mail package that it's not communication with but only through my router. If I take it to another router it all works suggesting to me the software versions/mail packages Etc are all fine. It's an issue specifically between my router and the provider given the way it works fine everywhere else. My router works fine on my other mail account with my company.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

If I understand correctly (I'm not overly tech savvy), The outgoing server is set to "use incoming server" for authentification. there is an option for "user name and password" which is not selected. Is that what your'e asking ?

Thanks   

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hegian8 wrote: ...the other info you asked for : using SSL in and out on ports 983/587 on IMAP

I assume that's a typo here as the conventional IMAP secure port is 993 not 983.

All I can tell from the layerip.com domain is that it uses the spf file for outlook.com to authenticate that domain. But is the Return-Path email address on your outgoing mail referencing a layerip.com email address or your personal domain email address?

Message 7 of 10

Sorry - the other info you asked for : using SSL in and out on ports 983/587 on IMAP

0 Likes

Hegian8
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Hi - It's a third party mail provider I buy through an agent. The server address ssdrs6.layerip.com. I'm using outlook to to try access from a Mac, but also other mail packages like Mymail and Edison on phones and tablets. I can't access the account at all if I go through my wifi but can on mobile network or someone else's wifi even using an identical talk talk router. I can also access another mail account with all the devices through my Wifi, but this is with a different provider. They do provide Webmail also, but I can't access this via my router, but can using mobile data or another wifi. It seems to be specifically my wifi router and the one specific service provider that aren't working - incidentally its worked perfectly for years and this only started 4 days ago.

Thank you

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Your post has been moved here to the email forum so we can discuss your 3rd party email provider without affecting the other topic you originally posted on.

We're not talking about TalkTalk Mail here but about a third party email provider. Tell us which email provider that is and whether that provider offers webmail as well as email client access and then describe exactly how you're trying to access the mailbox hosted by the third party provider. e.g. device and operating system and email software name and version and the incoming and outgoing server settings you're using along with error messages you see when attempting but failing to connect to the mailbox.

0 Likes