Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Deleted emails

6 REPLIES 6
cnps1
First Timer

How many days do deleted emails stay in 'Trash' before they are deleted permanently?

Has this changed recently, as I could previously see months of deleted emails & can now only see one week's worth?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi cnps1 

Are you referring to the TalkTalk Mail platform or another?  What's the bit after the @ in your email address, for example, talktalk.net  lineone.net  tiscali.co.uk or?

I don't believe there's been any system change to the TalkTalk Mail platform for this function nor do I believe that the system is set to automatically delete any mail messages.

I have mail messages in Trash folders that are over 4 months and 6 months old.  I've been keeping a watch on those ever since I saw a TalkTalk employee say that Trash over a month old is auto-deleted.  There is no user setting for such deletion on the TalkTalk Mail platform but it could be a background configuration setting. 

I'd say in your case that the system hasn't deleted the Trash which means that someone else has.

How do you normally collect your mail messages?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

cnps1
First Timer

I am referring to Talktalk.net. I collect emails via iPhone, iPad, MacBook using IMAP settings or via the Talktalk mail portal. I’ve used Talktalk email for about 15 years and have only recently noticed that only emails deleted in the last week are available in Trash. 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @cnps1 

For your iOS devices there is a setting to manage the deletion of mail from Trash (Mailbox behaviours). You can set the mail to be deleted from Trash after a week. Advice from Apple here.

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Your Mail Account > Advanced (scroll down) > Deleted Messages > Remove

The choices are: Never, After One Day, After One Week, and After One Month

My diagnosis is that you'll find one of the devices is set to remove after one week.

Let us know what you find.

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

cnps1
First Timer

I've recently started using a new iPad, & I hadn't changed the default 'remove deleted messages after one week'!

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Gondola
Community Star

Excellent.

I was worried that someone had carried out an unauthorised deletion.

Thanks for taking time out to let us know it was just the default setting of the new iPad. We always appreciate your feedback.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi cnps1, it looks like Gondola has got you covered. If you need anything else please let us know. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.