cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Delivery Status Notifications not received

GlennLRJ
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

I am trying to investigate a problem with sending mail from my tiscali address to GMX addresses (separate topic). Mails are not received at GMX and no delivery failure notification is received, aka bounce message. GMX will not investigate unless they can examine the bounce message.
Using Mozilla Thunderbird on a desktop Windows PC, I can request (per message) a Return Receipt (RR) and a Delivery Status Notification (DSN). I understand that the Return Receipt could (if desired) be sent by the person receiving the mail. I assume that the DSN should be sent automatically by the transmitting Email system.
I have tiscali, GMX and Gmail accounts.
When sending a plain text test message I get the following results:
1. from tiscali (via Thunderbird) to GMX : no DSN; mail not received
2. from tiscali (via Thunderbird) to Gmail : no DSN; mail received OK, but no RR requested *1
3. from tiscali (via Thunderbird) to a wrong GMX address : no DSN
4. from Gmail to a wrong GMX address : got DSN OK from Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>
5. from tiscali (via Thunderbird) to a wrong Gmail address : no DSN
6. from tiscali (directly from TalkTalk webmail) to GMX : no DSN; not received

*1 OK, for Gmail, "Read receipts are only available for work or school accounts, not personal Gmail accounts"

Why is the tiscali mail service not generating Delivery Status Notifications? (cases 1, 2, 3, 5 & 6)

(They are not in Junk / Spam)

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi Michelle, how can I tell if this topic is closed or still open? I can't see a status value.  The question I raised is still open; i.e. Why is the tiscali mail service not generating Delivery Status Notifications for undelivered mail.  As advised below, I will also add this question to my existing thread : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email/Mails-sent-from-Tiscali-to-GMX-not-received/m-p/3062274

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

OK, thanks for taking the time to clarify.  Any thoughts on the subject of my queries?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

You are asked to follow up on your own single thread unless the issue clearly involves a totally separate department (eg billing issues for compensation after an issue has been resolved re loss of a service).

The previous advice was to not piggyback on OTHER customers' threads for your own issue. 

So effectively the same advice: one customer, one thread in the category for that customer's issue. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

This is really a separate issue, so please reopen :  

How do I enable Delivery Status Notifications for mails sent from tiscali to any recipient?
The other issue (Mails sent from Tiscali to GMX not received) relates specifically to mails sent to GMX and might be a GMX problem.
In another post (Emails to GMX not being delivered...), a Community Star said that conflating issues "can lead to confusion". So now I'm confused!

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

I can see that we've replied to your other topic so I'll close this one to avoid confusion.

Michelle

0 Likes