cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Email not working on iPad mail app

Alan1937
First Timer
Private Message
Private Message

Message 9 of 9

I’m having the same issue. Can access webmail for a talktalk account, but cannot connect via mail app on iPad or iPhone.  iPad app is giving “cannot get mail, no password provided”, iPhone “cannot connect to server”. I’ve checked the new settings and checked the password via webmail, tried adding/deleting account but no luck. How can i get my account updated?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Well done.

I appreciate your time to let me know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Thanks all resolve, I think the / in the password was the issue

Message 3 of 9

• Open Settings
  • Select Mail
  • Select Accounts
  • Select your email address 
  • Select Account again
  • To verify your  Outgoing  Mail Server Settings
    Select SMTP
    Select Primary server, this should be smtp.talktalk.net
  • Your settings should be;
    Host Name - smtp.talktalk.net
    Username - your full email address
    Use SSL is set to ON (green)
    - slide the bar to right if not green
    Server port is 587 - to change select the field and edit the number to 587
    Once complete select Done, this will verify your settings if changed

The / forward slash is a reserved character and is not normally used in a password.

Message 4 of 9

Hi 

I’ve set the incoming port to 993 but don’t seem to be able to set the outgoing port on the iPad 

Changing the port hasn’t solved the issue and what I don’t understand is I’ve being using the Mail app on my iPad for over 2 years and this hasn’t happened all of a sudden 

The password fits the criteria you set out but can I just check if ‘/‘ is allowed as a special symbol? As I say the password works on Webmail but just thought I’d check 

is there an option to ask TalkTalk to reinstate the access if they have blocked it to the iPad. As using Webmail is not as convenient 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi Alan1937 

Thanks for the screenshots.

Unfortunately you're not using secure mail settings so TalkTalk may have removed the ability to use mail via the iPad and iPhone.  But first try the correct setup.

For both incoming and outgoing servers you must use SSL on with Password authentication.

The incoming port is 993 (not 143) and the outgoing port is 587.

Before we leave the password, just confirm that it is compliant with the security requirements or that will also cause a rejection. The password must be at least 8 characters (I recommend 12-15 characters) and with multicase letters, at least one number and a symbol. 

Message 6 of 9

I’ ve attached several screenshots so you can see the messages I’m getting and settings. I know the password id correct as I use it to get into webmailPop up messagesPop up messagesServer settingsServer settingsAdvanced settingsAdvanced settings

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Hi Alan1937 

I've moved your post to its own topic as you'd posted on a closed topic.

I'll provide the TalkTalk guides below but what would really help is for you to take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings on the iPad and or iPhone, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here so I can see what you see to check the device(s) is/are set up as expected.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPad

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

Please start your own thread, @Alan1937.

Return to the message board and click on start a topic. 

Also, add your Talktalk landline number  / account number to your community forum profile details. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings. Personal Information. SAVE CHANGES. 

Your own topic will be reached by staff during the day (Monday to Friday). They only reply to the original poster (so it's no use posting on an older thread or adding to a current one for your specific situation).

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.