cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Emails not being sent to me and/or not being sent by me - an insecure address???

confused15
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

I am at a loss what to do about this! Mainly affecting gmail emails sent to me or emails I send to email addresses.  However, recently 2 factor codes were not received by me from a Government website which upon investigation by the department informed me that Talktalk and Tiscalli addresses were problematic because they are insecure.  I have checked everything out as much as I can with Talktalk Technical who say all is OK with my email etc. set up etc.  This seems to be an intermittent problem. Today I have been sent the details below from a gmail user. It's techno double dutch speak to me and the links for talktalk just lead to here.  What's going on, advice please.

The response from the remote server was:

550 5.1.0 C1JAsF3yBCVMz Sorry, we’ve identified a number of outgoing emails from your email provider as spam so we haven’t been able to send your email to its intended recipient. Please try again later or using an alternative email address. For more information visit our help article (link: help2.talktalk.co.uk/i-cant-send-or-receive-emails) (TT406)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; @talktalk.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx.talktalk.net. (62.24.202.42, the server for the domain talktalk.net.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.0 C1JAsF3yBCVMz Sorry, we’ve identified a number of outgoing emails from your email provider as spam so we haven’t been able to send your email to its intended recipient. Please try again later or using an alternative email address. For more information visit our help article (link:  help2.talktalk.co.uk/i-cant-send-or-receive-emails) (TT406)
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 11:12:25 -0700 (PDT)

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

It is still being investigated according to the fault ticket I raised. I've sent a request for more information.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

I've done all that and everything is checked and reported as all working correctly, no faults.  (Incidentally I have done this check recently many times + speed check and everything ok).

What is happening regarding Talktalk blocking gmails - it seems to remain the case. Is Talktalk working on resolving the problem?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

You're welcome. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Thank you Ady - I really appreciate your continued help. Hopefully it will be resolved and added to through the team's investigations.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

The team are currently investigating this for us.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hi Ady,

Thank you for your message and for sticking with my issue. To answer your question.  Unfortunately, I cannot tell you who at TP spoke to me about this problem except to say it was one of their customer service team/agents who answered my telephone call about the failure to receive a two factor verification code.  Their help involved sending me a verification code several times, none of these, (like my own attempts to receive such codes) were received by me.  However, when they sent me an 'ordinary' (my term) test email, that was received instantly.  On looking into the problem further, the agent must have looked up information about the problem and told me that it was a known problem involving Talktalk and Tiscali email addresses. That the issue was known/dispute with and by TalkTalk/Teachers Pensions about these addresses being insecure and a security risk. When asked as to how come I could receive 'ordinary' emails from Teachers Pensions the answer given to me was that technically different servers were used for verification codes and emails, with the verifications being sent via a higher security and different server.  (Verification codes being the proof of ID to enter into personal account records at Teachers Pension.  (Well that's what I was told).  Maybe this is why as you say Talktalk have successfully delivered hundreds of emails - maybe these are what I call 'ordinary' emails rather then those specifically being a verification code. I suggest that an appropriate department/team at TalkTalk should be able to provide you with the answer about this problem and what is being done to resolve it.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

We're not blocking teacherspensions.co.uk we'ver accepted hundreds and hundreds of mails from them in the last 7 days. What is the known issue they're talking about and who at TalkTalk confirmed it for them? 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Thanks very much for your reply which helps explain what's going on.  However, two things arise:-

1. What is TalkTalk doing about resolving this situation with Google/GMAIL as it's not something that I as a user can put right?

2. What's going on with TalkTalk concerning the security issue with for example Teachers Pensions (www.teacherspensions.co.uk) who could not send me a two factor code or rather perhaps, when they did send it to me (several times), they did not get it bounced back to them and I obviously wasn't receiving their email containing the code.  (Disappearing unknown to both into cyberspace). TP help line told me there was an known issue/dispute about TalkTalk.net and Tiscali email addresses that meant their (TP's) server could not send to such addresses.  Apparently, Talk Talk are aware of this problem but what is being done about resolving it? 

If you or your colleagues can help with advice it would be really good.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi confused15, basically we're bouncing mail back to GMAIL as we've been getting hit by spam from their servers. It may well be only certain IP addresses that are affected meaning not every mail sent from GMAIL will be affected.

Ady