cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

My email stopped working and will not set up on my iPhone

ClareH2
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

Recently my email stopped downloading into my mail account. I have made sure all the settings are the latest and I can still log in to webmail. There is an error message saying my password is not recognised. Can anyone help solve this?

Clare Hallam
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

You're welcome.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Thankyou Ady, it is working!! I am very grateful!

Clare Hallam

Message 3 of 20

I'm really sorry Clare. I've sent another chaser for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 20

Hi Ady

Thankyou for doing this, I have just checked again and it hasn’t been unblocked yet. Do you have any idea on timings?

best wishes

Clare

Clare Hallam

Message 5 of 20

There's been a slight delay in getting the mailboxes reset. I've sent a chaser this morning.

Ady

Message 6 of 20

Thankyou so much, I have reset the password.

Clare Hallam

Message 7 of 20

Thankyou so much for your help!

Clare Hallam

Message 8 of 20

Hi ClareH2, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Message 9 of 20

13:45 on 27 March 2023 just rechecked the MyAccount login and it's now working so a password change / upgrade should now work ok.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 10 of 20

MyAccount was working before but right now is undergoing emergency unscheduled maintenance.

Message 11 of 20

I have tried but it says it’s not available at the moment.

Clare Hallam
0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

You will get a response from TalkTalk right here. Have you upgraded the email password?

Message 13 of 20

Thankyou for this helpful advice. 
I will look forward now to hearing from Talk Talk that I can download emails once again to my phone.

Clare Hallam
0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

OK, so there's a potential issue then. If your iPhone was previously set up with the correct settings before you got the notification email from TalkTalk advising that your mailbox was still being accessed by insecure settings then what mail collection service or device was detected as having insecure settings.  If you don't know then you must change your email password to lock out any unauthorised access.

The Reset password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If you have set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

Message 15 of 20

PS I only download emails onto my iPhone not on any other devices.

Clare Hallam
0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hello there

Thankyou so much for your reply. I did not identify the insecure settings, when I checked them I was using IMAP with all the correct ports etc. I really don’t understand what was wrong. 
I will now check that the details are all in my Profile. Thankyou so much for your help again.

Clare Hallam
0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

That'll do nicely. The password will verify to authenticate the connection as soon as TalkTalk switch device IMAP access back on.  I've asked that full access is restored for the mailbox email address that you will have added to your Community profile, Personal information, Private notes. (Do check it's there)

TalkTalk Support will respond here and then restore IMAP access as soon as reasonably possible. Until full access is switched back on, use TalkTalk Mail webmail via an up to date Internet browser to keep in touch with email contacts.

Did you identify the insecure settings, for example? The culprit device or software that got mailbox access switched off was just the iPhone because ports 25 (SMTP) or 110 (POP) or 143 (IMAP) were used?

Message 18 of 20

Hello there

I did receive the email from TalkTalk and I followed the advice carefully to make sure the settings were correct but it still wouldn’t verify my password. I attach a couple of photos of my settings. Is this what you needed to see?

FF008ECB-1F37-49E5-AE2C-1BEF7D6ADA1B.jpegEBF356C0-10F0-4452-91DA-091C84F6C2FF.jpeg
Clare Hallam
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 20

The password not recognised by the iPhone but your mailbox working in webmail to receive and send mail does suggest that the iPhone connection to the email mailbox has been switched off by TalkTalk.

If you saw the message from TalkTalk advising "Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings..." then the email address receiving that notification has now been limited to webmail only access. It's a last resort action by TalkTalk to stop the use of email connections not secured by TLS 1.2 encryption.

TalkTalk Mail webmail is secure by design when using an up to date Internet browser.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in. Check that you can compose and send and receive mail sent to the same mailbox address.

If your mailbox is limited to webmail only access for both sending and receiving mail, you will be able to get access restored to email apps or email software, including mail collection services, passwords will then re-authenticate, so long as you're ready to use supported email software and secure email settings for all the ways you view emails.

We can advise on device and software compatibility with TLS 1.2 encryption and provide customer setup guides. Just let us know each mail collection service, each device, its operating system and email software including version that are in current use.

For a definitive check of email settings take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the Camera icon (desktop browser) or Picture icon (mobile browser) above this reply area.

When you confirm the secure settings are ready I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access. TalkTalk Support will respond here and access will be restored usually within a couple of working days.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Email account holder name

Scroll down to Private notes to add the affected email address
and TalkTalk or MailPlus customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

0 Likes