cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Outlook 2019 cannot send and receive emails.

davep2
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

Hi, for the last few days Outlook on my laptop will not send or receive emails using my @talktalk account. My other gmail email account works fine and I can send and receive from apple devices.  Talktalk webmail also works, however I prefer to use  Outlook.

I get the following error message: Ox8004010F outlook data file cannot be accessed.

POP account settings:

Incoming mail

Server: mail.talktak.net   Port 995

Encrypted connection (SSL/TLS) box ticked.

Outgoing mail

Server: smtp.talktalk.net  Port 587

Encryption method: STARTTLS

Outgoing SMTP server requires authentication box ticked and using same settings as incoming mail server

Help with this problem appreciated

Thanks

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

davep2
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 1 of 5

This is what I have completed today:

Checked the Outlook files.  Looks like I have an Outlook Data File (273, 809 KB) and a BAK File (253, 473 KB).

Run the Outlook recovery program again, result:

Files to repair - 45

Items found - 800

Time to repair <10 seconds.

Repair didn't work 

I created a new email account in Thunderbird for my gmail account using IMAP.  Confirmed works ok.

Made a new POP account in Outlook using my original username.  Checked it can send and receive and then deleted this new account.

Created a new IMAP account in Outlook.  Confirmed can send and receive.

I think what I have now is the Outlook folders using POP3 is now an archive and the new Outlook created using IMAP is the new place for mail.  Some of the folders don't have complete content, so will need checking.

Thunderbird works ok but a lot of the historical content hasn't carried over if I decide to use this going forward.

Regards 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Excellent first steps.

The fact that the mailbox is working both with webmail and with Thunderbird does prove that connections to and from the mailbox are good.

So you have isolated Outlook 2019 as being faulty or its associated pst data file as being inaccessible or corrupted. It's unfortunate that the pst repair using the built in Scanpst utility has not worked. This is designed to cope with minor corruption issues but probably not major corruption such as might occur during a system crash or power loss.

Did Scanpst find errors and start to recover from those errors? Have backup copies been made to allow you to create a new pst file?

How many hours did it take to finish a repair scan?  Very large files may not be recoverable using Scanpst and therefore some decisions need to be made.

Do you have your own backup copies of your mail messages or were messages left on the server? If so then simply delete the email account from Outlook, repair or uninstall and reinstall Outlook and start afresh by adding the email account using the same settings as Thunderbird or for a POP3 email account the only difference is the incoming server port 995.

If you need to recover the original pst data file then there are commercial products that say they will achieve this end. I'm not going to recommend.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

davep2
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 3 of 5

I've created a new email account with Thunderbird and proved that I can send and receive emails using the IMAP connections as above.

I've also run the Microsoft Outlook repair programme twice to make sure. I still can't receive or send emails and the same error message Ox8004010F as before comes up.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

Can you create a new email account in an alternate email client like Thunderbird just to check the mailbox is working with IMAP connections. I'm suggesting IMAP to make sure the new email account just mirrors what's on the mail server. 

Use the manual setup so the settings look like these:

Thunderbird IMAP Server settings

Assuming that works then that's proven that the issue is with Outlook.

You'll need to repair or replace the Outlook data file.  The error message suggests there's an issue with the data file.

These pst files in Outlook are more prone to corruption the longer they're used and the bigger they get.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes