cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Pop3 Outlook - intermittently asking for name and password to get mail

ico99
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

Hi - last few days I've noticed that when Outlook (desktop 365 version on Windows 10) does a send/receive it sometimes throws up a 'name and password?' dialog. Despite this I get the impression that some send/receives are working as I am getting mail.

My Pop3 settings:

pop.dial.pipex.com port 995

server requires encrypted conneciton (SSL/TLS) is checked
Require logon using SPA is unchecked

The only weird thing I noticed was that when I go into Info-Account Settings-Server Settings  and look at the settings, clicking on 'Next' I get 'Uopdating...we're getting things ready then
"something went wrong and Outlook couldn't repair your account. Please try again. If the problem continues contact your email administrator". 

So not sure if it is an Outlook thing rather than TalkTalk..

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

OK, so no credentials / password issues with Apple Mail which is good. And updating the server settings is great.

Just Outlook, which is not so good and often has an issue of random corruption when accessing the Outlook PST data file particularly when those files get very large after years of use.

However, the original pipex passwords are non-compliant and are a security risk. By not immediately upgrading those passwords you're running the risk that TalkTalk will put a bar on the mailboxes.

So what we would like to see is not just good, not just great but perfect. My suggestion for memorable passwords is to think of three random words for each mailbox so that each is unique, for example - RainBoxCabin - add a symbol and numbers - Rain@BoxCabin13 - and there's the first memorable, unique and compliant ultra-strong password. The security.org website tells me that It would take a computer about 15 billion years to crack the password.

Here to support you all the way from good to perfect.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

ico99
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 2 of 7

No - the Apple devices are fine but then again they had the updated mailserver settings...

0 Likes

ico99
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 3 of 7

Hi - the passwords are the original allocated to the various Pipex accounts - so random jumble of letters

Update - just realised that I had in fact updated the mail server settings for 3 of my 4 accounts but not the one that was having issues.

Have now updated the mail server settings for that final account - but left passwords as are for now.

That - seems - to have solved. So maybe just the mail process getting uppity about the old settings?

Shall report back if issues...

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Is the password weak, in your view? How many characters? Multicase letters, numbers and a symbol?

Asking because we are seeing pipex mailboxes getting barred because of weak passwords i.e. no numbers, no symbol.

Presumably no password pop up on the Apple devices with the same mailbox?

ico99
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

Thanks!

My c*ck-up re email server - had changed to talktalk rather than pipex on Apple devices but apparently not on desktop Windows...

Have amended the Reset Details - thanks for the tip

Shall change the passwords when not in a rush - from past experience best way...

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

The incoming mail will still be working because the legacy pipex incoming server host name is currently still listed as an alternative host name on the security certificate for mail.talktalk.net but it is best to update your legacy settings to directly reference the talktalk.net mail servers.

Incoming server host name: mail.talktalk.net  port 995 encryption method SSL/TLS

Outgoing server host name: smtp.talktalk.net port 587 encryption method STARTTLS

Outgoing server authentication required (NOT SPA)

Which brings me to ask about your password strength. How many characters? Multicase letters, numbers and a symbol?

Before the mailbox authentication detects a weak password and declines to connect to your mailbox and forces a password change please take time to upgrade your password.  You'll need to use the master pipex email address for password changes not any of the alias addresses.

Hopefully you'll have pre-registered for password recovery an alternate email address and mobile number. Either can be selected in the password reset process to receive an emailed link or a 6 digit code by mobile text message to authenticate a password change. It's worth checking these Reset details are present and correct before opting to change the password. 

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and your email password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then use the Reset password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. A new password created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox.