cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Sudden Influx of Spam

SecretSquirrel
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 59 of 59

Despite having my Tiscali email address for 23 years, I rarely, if ever, received any spam. That all changed roughly two weeks ago and am receiving several per hour.  I was helping a client of mine a few days ago who is also a Tiscali user and he has the same problem so I doubt that it's just me and a few others who are affected.  The spam messages nearly always have the same format:

• The entire spam content is an external image.
  • This is then followed by roughly 14 pages of nothing.
  • At the bottom of the email there's some text. This can be an FBI or Adobe newsletter or a Microsoft authentication code - presumably to fool the spam filter into thinking it's a legitimate email.
  • The emails are sent from a Google email address and are sent via Google servers - presumably using compromised Google credentials.
  • The links in the email for the spam content nearly always point to :  sender10.zohoinsights-crm.com

I'll be happy to email said spam messages to you as an attachment if required.

Hopefully you'll be able to help us with this annoying problem. Thanks.

58 REPLIES 58

Dangermouse
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 59

So the spammers are now taking a new tack, which seems to be bypassing TT's filters, and also escaping my homebrewed ones using email filtering rules.....

I think this latest lot is getting through because the emails are now being encoded as HTML... see example at bottom.

Q (maybe @Gondola?) all my attempts at creating a filter rule to detect 'http://www.maxinoize.com/' are failing; it seems that the 'Body' item doesn't include parsing any HTML content?  Any way it can be done?

Content-Type: text/html;
    charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
</head>

</head>

<div dir="ltr"data-setdir="false" style="height:2px;max-height:2px;overflow-y:hidden ;color:#ffffff">7e8qi8pvaybed0ybloa0cibq2ii</div>
<div dir="ltr"data-setdir="false" style="height:2px;max-height:2px;overflow-y:hidden ;color:#ffffff">g4w5uw4jpf3savv5ffdhnbv</div>
<div dir="ltr"data-setdir="false" style="height:2px;max-height:2px;overflow-y:hidden ;color:#ffffff">g4w5uw4jpf3savv5ffdhnbv</div>
<div dir="ltr"data-setdir="false" style="height:2px;max-height:2px;overflow-y:hidden ;color:#ffffff">7e8qi8pvaybed0ybloa0cibq2ii</div>

</head><br>
<body>
<br><br>
<a href=http://www.maxinoize.com/emails/click?p=eyJvdXRib3VuZF9pZCI6IjY0M2E4YTE0NGFiNjViZjFkMGRlNjJkNSIsInVybCI6Imh0dHBzOi8vbm9sb3NxdWFkcy5jb20vMC8wLzAvMmRlOGYzM2UyYTc3YWY0ZDhiOGU1ZGMwODVhMDFhMDAva2EvbW91L2FkMSJ9><center><br><h1 style="color:#d10000"><BR> Congrats {paul.byham} <BR></h1><br></a>
<p style="text-align: center;">

0 Likes

Message 22 of 59

Its looking good at the minute not one spam email since before Chrismas, fingers crossed though.

Message 23 of 59

The spam emails are still coming but only 4 or 5 daily. Some are being caught by my email handler spam filters others appear in my in box. All obviously Spam, advertising the same things, missed packages, all from @gmail addresses. Clearly TalkTalk and Google have some work to do.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 59

Likewise David, one earlier today then all quiet.

It looks as if their actions are starting to have some effect. Fingers crossed. 

Regards & wishing you a good Christmas (WYAGC)

0 Likes

Message 25 of 59

Update only one spam in last 24 hours,

Message 26 of 59

Hi GS1057, please start your own thread. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 59

Today I have only had one spam and it was the Boots Perfume

0 Likes

Message 28 of 59

Still more??

TT - if you are seeing this message, can I please have a response 

IMG_7304.png

Message 29 of 59

Problem with my talktalk emails on iPhone . When I now access my emails , only two emails at a time are able to be viewed ,the rest of my page ( half of it ) is taken up by space to compose . Searched for x to delete this but there is nothing except this big space ,with a pen in it. Tried everything . Any help please .

0 Likes

Message 30 of 59

Likewise David, I’ve got some more perfume. Hopefully TT are still on the case?

Again from gmail addresses with a long prefix.

Message 31 of 59

Unfortunately there is still a leak in the filtering system, this afternoon I received 2 spam messgages in my inbox both from @gmail.com addresses. Both almost identical subject as I was having before.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 59

Gondola is buying us some for Christmas 😂😂

0 Likes

Message 33 of 59

I wonder when I will get those AirFryers and that bottle of Parfume😉

Message 34 of 59

Grateful thanks for confirming.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

DavidRobinson1
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 59

Its well over 24 hours since my last spam email arrived. Can we relax have we got a fully functioning fix?

Rootin
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 59

Thank you TT, for the time being my level of spam has dropped off the cliff. I suspect somebody may have knocked the switch at the Talk Talk Xmas party.

At least I haven’t got to delete my e mail address and start again. Glad I didn’t follow that advice.

Message 37 of 59

Hi all, I'm told that temporary filters are in place to reduce the effects of this issue. You should see a reduced volume of spam. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 38 of 59

13-12-23 at 9am So far this morning I havent had one spam, this is good, has some body been busy fixing the Tiscali and Gmail filters?

Message 39 of 59

I suspect there is a lot more people like you out there David. That was exactly how I felt until you realise something isn’t right here, I’m not causing this.

Hopefully TalkTalk might read this. Perhaps they should think about putting out an advisory note out  to all tiscali account holders. I expect there are a lot of worried people out there who don’t know what to do.

Message 40 of 59

For over a week I have been blaming myself for causing the huge amount of spam reaching my in box. Sometimes 20 a day. Ive been blocking the senders but there are so many out there I cant stop it. I have tried various ways to filter it but short of blocking all  .gmail messages I cant. I'm so pleased I'm not in the minority. This is most strange because up until recently virtually no spam or junk was getting through. As to TalkTalk saying stop using my Tiscali email address well that is so insensitive after all TalkTalk took over Tiscali and its customers of which I have been one for years. Now come on TalkTalk get this sorted please.