cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Suddenly not receiving tiscali emails on Samsung phone

angelica31
Participant
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

I have two tiscali email addresses - one linked to my main account, the second an additional which is tagged on to the main account.  A couple of days ago I stopped receiving these emails on my Samsung phone.  I have deleted both accounts and added on again - the missing emails all start coming through then, but when I send a new test email, it doesn't come through.  The incoming and outgoing server settings had the right port numbers, but the old tiscali details.  I changed these to the TT settings, but still nothing.  I have a Samsung tablet and they are both working on that without issue.  I did read somewhere that there were security issues with emails on phones and some accounts had been blocked. Wondered if this may be the case for me? Thank for any help. 

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Good morning angelica31 

Most kind of you to keep us updated. Thank you so much. Good to know the Gmail app is receiving mail and that the Samsung app is working exactly as expected.

From your side I don't think there's anything else that you can do right now. I'm hoping to see the Gmail app get a software update soon.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 16

Hi Gondola,

Just to let you know I have received a couple of emails overnight via the Gmail app.  The older missing emails haven't appeared.  Have just sent a couple of test emails to myself and they are coming through, so fingers crossed. That's a week since they stopped appearing.  I will keep the Samsung mail app running just in case. 

Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 16

It's certainly a glitch between Gmail and TalkTalk. Samsung, Bluemail and Typeapp all continue to connect without a glitch. There are no changes on the TalkTalk side that I'm personally aware of. But the Gmail app was recently updated.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi Gondola, emails still okay using the Samsung app still.  One other thing was that I am accessing Microsoft, Yahoo and work email accounts via the Gmail app and they all work perfectly still.  So is it a glitch between TalkTalk and Gmail? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi angelica31 

Gmail updated the app on 25th July so my guess is that there's a bug in that update. Google are just pointing users to the troubleshooting steps for lack of synchronisation which is the issue that covers all the problems you described.

Thanks for confirming that the Samsung app is working. As BlueMail and TypeApp are also working I think we've identified the Gmail app current version 2023.07.16.552577143 as defective.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Amazing!! I was rereading all your responses and by chance saw a separate thread from a guy who had had issues with the Gmail app on his Samsung.  He downloaded the Samsung mail app and his TalkTalk emails came through!  So I had to reinstall the Samsung mail app and add the Tiscali accounts and then sent some test emails and it worked - bingo!  Was just amending my last response to you when I heard your message come through as an email on the Samsung app.  Thank you.  Still flipping annoying though - dare I say I prefer the layout of the Gmail option better and you just get used to something, but never mind, whatever works. Who knew you could spend the best part of a day on something like this 😵💫. Would you let me know though if you solve the Gmail issue at some point? Thanks Gondola !

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hi angelica31 

I've done some testing and I believe the issue is with the Gmail app. I've done self sends to two TalkTalk accounts from Gmail and neither one synchronises to the Sent objects folder even waiting for the sync option to count down..

But carry out the exact same test with the BlueMail app and there's perfect synchronisation across all accounts including the Gmail app.

So, what I'd suggest is to use either the native Samsung email app or download BlueMail or TypeApp in place of the Gmail app.

I'll need to investigate some more to find out exactly why the Gmail app isn't playing nicely for us.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi Gondola, 

Both actually. Sent to myself from same tiscali email address and between the two - the one linked to my broadband account and the one which is an additional heritage and linked to the broadband one.  I have now also sent a test email from a yahoo email account and an outlook one to both tiscali email accounts - neither have arrived in the inboxes.  They are set to sync every 15mins which has now passed, irrespective if you untick the sync box and then tick again they always pop up.  It's strange how it just suddenly stopped working with the old tiscali imap settings and now doesn't work with the proper talktalk ones.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Describe what you mean by test emails not arriving in the Inbox? Sent from one tiscali email account to the other or a self sent from the same tiscali email address? Or something else?

For a fully synchronised IMAP email account the Sent messages should appear in the Sent objects folder of the webmail sending mailbox so there's something not quite right in the IMAP setup. Or maybe it's just set to synchronise, say, only every 15 minutes?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hello Gondola,

Yes, you're right typo trouble, sorry!  So, now both email accounts successfully loaded onto tablet and phone with correct data.  All came with the previous 'missing' test emails into inboxes. 

So now I have sent more test emails - a couple from the phone and a couple from the tablet.  Despite refreshing and syncing email, none have gone into the inboxes either on the phone or tablet. The ones I sent from the tablet show sent on the tablet only. The ones sent from the phone say sent from the phone only.  Went into both email accounts via web browser and all messages appear in the inboxes, but nothing shown in the sent boxes there.  

What's your opinion? Nothing seems to work now - I had been using the old tiscali sever settings for a long time and am wondering whether that is the reason perhaps?  Not an expert, though as you can clearly see 😂😉

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

You may wish to show me screenshots. Only be seeing those will I know if there's an issue.

The reason I say this is because you say you typed smpt.talktalk.net and got a response that the server connection couldn't be opened.

Not surprising because the correct server host name is smtp.talktalk.net and it's a fairly common typo to make so don't worry but the settings do need to be 100% correct.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hi Gondola,

Yes, I deleted as you advised.   I have removed both email accounts from my phone and tablet as suddenly the tablet wasn't receiving an emails. Rebooted both and started to add again.  Have added all the email app server settings as you state above.  On my tablet, I managed to add the main email account linked to my broadband.  However, I have sent an email and it doesn't appear in my inbox.  I then tried to add the second email account and when I reached the outgoing settings and entered it stated ' Couldn't open connection to server'.  Then tried to add both on my phone.  Neither worked, again same error response once I had typed in smpt.talktalk.net and hit enter at the outgoing connection bit.  Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Yes, I saw your Private Message but will respond here.

I take it that you have deleted an Auto forward or other Filter rule as you mention hitting the dustbin icon. If so that's good because there's nothing stopping normal mail from arriving in the Inbox and the IMAP email apps should all synchronise to show the same Inbox.

To clarify, the Samsung email app server settings are:

IMAP Incoming server: mail.talktalk.net

Security type: SSL

Port: 993

SMTP Outgoing server: smtp.talktalk.net

Security type: TLS

Port: 587

Require authentication to send emails: ON

But if you're using the Gmail email app there are slight differences:

Outgoing security type: STARTTLS

Require sign-in: ON

0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

Hi Gondola,

I responded to your reply, but as a separate private message via your icon - maybe you could see that.  But now the emails are not even popping up on my tablet, so will remove accounts from both tablet and phone, switch off and try to add again.  I know what the settings should be, have seen it posted on these pages. Let's see......

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

Hi angelica31 

What model Samsung 'phone is it and what is the Android version? I'll help you check the settings. Take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the picture icon (mobile browser) above this Reply area.

As the Samsung tablet is working, and I assume you mean via an email app holding the two tiscali email accounts, then I expect the mailbox and mailbox connectivity is good and the tiscali email accounts are not blocked.

But first, check the webmail send and receive and make sure there are no filter rules active. Some legacy tiscali email accounts will have inherited a Blocked senders filter rule and that is recommended for deletion.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know of any error message, or if mail did not arrive in the Inbox or disappeared from the Inbox. Collecting mail messages with a POP3 mail account or mail collection service, like Gmail, may be deleting messages from the online Inbox.