cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable To Send/Receive Email Using Windows Live Mail

edward4
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 28 of 28

I am unable to send or receive email using my desktop email browser (Live Mail 2012).

I checked the email settings and changed them to the correct settings – the problem continued.

Incoming mail

Email server                       mail.talktalk.net

Server port (POP3)          995

Encryption method         not checked

Outgoing mail

Email server                       smtp.talktalk.net

Server port                         587

Encryption method         not checked

I have checked the Community articles and one said

That the account may have been deactivated

This seems to be confirmed by the error message I received

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was obscured for customer security

Subject 'testing'

Server Error: 530

Server Response: 530 5.1.0 dFr6pHlxNecIN Authentication Required (TT401)

Server: 'smtp.talktalk.net'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 587

Secure(SSL): No

It also said that after changing the settings contact Support to have the email account reactivated.

I asked Chat to do so, but they ignored the request.

What can I do to restore my email access?

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 28

Thanks for letting us know. If you need further help please let us know.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 28

My computer has started to slow dramatically. I have taken it to a PC repair shop. They think the hard drive is failing, but they are investigating.

This may be the problem.

Please close this problem. I shall post a new problem if it recurs after the computer is fixed.

Thank you for all your efforts.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 28

The password was for my email account.

It occurred to me that my internet speed might be the problem

Using Wi-Fi

Router                  39Mbps

Download           25 Mbps

Upload                 7 Mbps

I connected the router using an ethernet cable and retested

Router                  39Mbps

Download           37 Mbps

Upload                 7 Mbps

Sending a message still fails with the message

Sending of the message failed.

Unable to authenticate to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net. Please check the

password and verify the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing server (SMTP)'.

Getting messages still does not work.

Could my upload speed be the problem?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

Hi edward4, this is the email address in your community profile isn't it? I've checked and its still got full function.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 28

I reset my password – making it longer

I tried several times to add my account to Thunderbird

Finally Thunderbird asked for my password

When I entered it (asking for it to be saved), my account was created and downloaded the folders and emails

When I later asked for new emails, Thunderbird asked for my password again but did not download new emails. Nor does it send emails

0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Hi edward4, the settings appear to be spot on. Have you tried resetting your password since the change of settings?

Ady

0 Likes

Message 7 of 28

I

Uninstalled Thunderbird

Installed Thunderbird

Added email account manually, but omitted the password (otherwise creation fails)

Your full name                                   My Name

Email address                                    my email@tiscali.co.uk

Password                                            omitted

Incoming

Protocol                               IMAP

Hostname                           mail.talktalk.net

Port                                       993

Connection security        SSL/TLS

Authentication method Normal password

User name                          my email@tiscali.co.uk

Outgoing

Host name                          smtp.talktalk.net

Port                                       587

Connection security        STARTTLS

Authentication method Normal password

User name                          my email@tiscali.co.uk

I was prompted for and entered the password

I tried to send a test email

I received the error message

“Unable to authenticate to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net. Please check the password and verify the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing server (SMTP)'.”

Is the authentication method correct?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

Would the easiest solution be to

Uninstall Thunderbird

Then

Reinstall Thunderbird

And

Add my email account manually as IMAP?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

I think I blundered.

I removed the POP3 account.

I added the account as IMAP.

When I pressed Done button it disabled, but the account was not created.

What do I do now?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Still no entries in the Saved Logins and the Show Passwords button is not active.

Would it be easier if I

Save the emails to a local folder

Delete the POP3 account

Create an IMAP account manually (I have downloaded instructions from Thunderbird)?

Message 11 of 28

OK. Here's a couple of tips.

When you need to enter a password make sure you know the password for the email address.  Sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail using the email address and password just to double check you have the correct password.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

For receiving mail and sending mail in Thunderbird you'll get a password box pop-up. IMPORTANT. Tick the Remember password box BEFORE entering the correct password matching the email address. That will save the password in the Thunderbird Saved Logins.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 12 of 28

There are no entries in the Saved Logins and the Show Passwords button is not active.

Would it be easier if I

Save the emails to a local folder

Delete the POP3 account

Create an IMAP account manually (I have downloaded instructions from Thunderbird)

Message 13 of 28

Folders in TalkTalk Mail webmail will only be synchronised to IMAP email accounts in Thunderbird. I did ask you to set up an IMAP email account. You set up a POP3 account. POP3 accounts interact only with the online Inbox.

The sending of the message will fail if the password entered is not the correct password for the sending account email address or if the Authentication method is not NORMAL PASSWORD.  But the settings you showed for the tiscali email address did indicate Authentication method was NORMAL PASSWORD.

Just check the Thunderbird Saved logins to remove the saved password for the outgoing smtp.talktalk.net server if it is not the correct password for the sending email account.

Thunderbird:

Tools > Settings > Privacy & Security

Passwords > Saved Passwords

Show Passwords > Yes >

Delete the smtp password for the outgoing email address to enable the entry of the correct password when sending mail.

When sending mail there will then be a password to enter. Tick the remember password box before entering the password so that the password is saved.

Just to reinforce that if there are multiple talktalk email accounts set up in Thunderbird then each one must have its own dedicated SMTP server for outgoing mail. This is because outgoing mail must be authenticated with the Username (full email address) and password for the sending email address.

Message 14 of 28

When I opened Thunderbird all my emails were shown.

But a folder I created on TalkTalk Mail was not transferred.

How do I transfer the folder, or its contents?

I tried to send an email to myself and another to a friend.

I had to enter the password and checked ‘Remember the password’

Sending of the message failed.

Unable to authenticate to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net. Please check the password and verify the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing server (SMTP)'.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 28

The guidance from Ady was unexpected. So what does that mean exactly? Either Ady is looking at an email address in your Community profile that's got full access and is working normally or Ady is looking at the tiscali email address you were setting up in Thunderbird but there is something wrong with the setup.

The Thunderbird settings you've shown are perfectly correct. So, the only setup I cannot cross-check is the tiscali email password.

Did you compose and send an email from Thunderbird to a known working email address and were you asked to enter the password? To save a password you must first tick the Remember the password box, enter the password and send the email.

What send error message did you see, if any?

Message 16 of 28

Hi edward4, the email address in your profile has full access. There are no limitations. Your mail should work normally. 

Ady

Message 17 of 28

Stop where you are. You have Thunderbird installed and appear to have set up a POP3 mail account which incidentally is not what I advised when you asked me for a solution to getting your mail messages into TalkTalk Mail.

But you're forgetting one vital fact. Your mailbox has been limited to webmail only access and needs TalkTalk to switch on IMAP / POP3 access before Thunderbird will authenticate the mail settings.

The secure mail settings are good so I've asked that full access is restored for the mailbox email address that you will have added to your Community profile, Personal information, Private notes.

TalkTalk Support will respond here and then restore IMAP4 / POP3 access as soon as reasonably possible. Until full access is switched back on, use TalkTalk Mail webmail via an up to date Internet browser to keep in touch with email contacts.

Message 18 of 28

I ran the Thunderbird file and Thunderbird was installed.

I opened Thunderbird and an error message appeared – it does not work with POP accounts.

I checked the email settings and found they were set to those of Windows Live Mail.

I changed the settings and restarted Thunderbird. – It did not produce an error message, nor did it receive or send messages.

The settings

Server Settings

Server Type                                                                 POP Mail Server

Server Name                                                              mail.talktalk.net

User Name                                                                  *****@tiscali.co.uk

Security Settings

Connection security                                                  SSL/TLS

Authentication method                                            Normal password

Server Settings

Check for new messages at startup                      checked

Check for new messages every 10 minutes         checked

Automatically download new messages              checked

Fetch headers only                                                      not checked

Leave messages on server                                        checked

For at most 15 days                                      checked

Until I delete them                                      checked

Outgoing Server (SMTP Settings)

Details of selected server:

Description                                                                         <not specified>

Server Name                                                                     smtp.talktalk.net

Port                                                                                       587

User Name                                                                         *****@tiscali.co.uk

Authentication method                                                Normal password

Connection Security                                                       STARTTLS

Is the problem the Server Type (POP Mail Server)? If so how do I change it?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 28

Select the Thunderbird exe file that's been downloaded probably to your Downloads folder and run that file.

Message 20 of 28

I download “Thunderbird Setup 102.9.0.exe” from https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/.

A donation page opened, which I closed without donating.

The download did not run.

Should I right click the file and then click ‘Run as administrator’?

0 Likes