cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Problems trying to forward ports on Sagem Router

13 REPLIES 13
Participant

I've gone into the admin settings on my router to try and open a couple of ports for an online game

Making sure that the following ports are available through your router for the HUNT: Showdown client:

• UDP 20000-20099
  • TCP: 61088

But any port checker I use still shows the ports as closed. The game has an exception to pass through the firewall.

Pic of the router settings below. Can anyone help with a solution ?

Thank you

ports.JPG

Participant
Presuming you hit apply, it looks ok to me. Have you tried dropping that machine in the DMZ? Does that work?
Participant

Thank you . Tried DMZ and that makes no difference.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Andy,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any assistance/advice?

Thanks

Community Star

I have just tested TCP port 61088 on my Sagemcom & it reports as open. There is nothing wrong with your TCP or UDP rules for these ports at all. Therefore this is not an issue with the TalkTalk network or router. The fact that it does not even work in the DMZ (massive security implications for the device hosting this game), points even more to this being an issue with the device/application.

First off, no port checking website is compatible with UDP & those ports will always report closed, even if they are open.

Have you allocated this PC or whatever that hosts the game application a DHCP reserved IP address or configured a static IP address on the device? If the device is a PC, have you allowed it through the PC's firewall via an inbound rule?

Failing that the most likely cause of the problem is that your game application is not opening TCP 61088 & that is why it reports closed.

So many games manufacturers tell you to use port forwarding, I have no idea why, unless you are using it in a server mode & other people connect to your game from the internet.

Port forwarding only works for connections originated from the internet to your game. If you make the connection from the game to somewhere on the internet, port forwarding is not used.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Participant

Hi Keith

Thanks for getting back to me.

That was the next thing I had on my list to try - setup a static IP.

The device is a Pc, and the application is allowed through the firewall.

Yes, I have a feeling that the main problem is with the game or the server which the game is on, but I want to try and rule out all the possible causes. I am only running a client, not a server.

Could you please help me with what I need to do setup a static IP on the Sagem?

Community Star

The static IP address must be outside of the DHCP IP address range.

Please can you open a command prompt & enter this command:-

netstat -a | find "61088"

Then paste the result into your reply?

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Participant

Thank you

I don't get anything after running that command. I just get this Capture.JPG

Community Star

That is your problem then, your game is not opening the port.

Whilst the port forwarding will allow the port through, the application is the element that actually opens the port & in your case it is keeping it closed. Mind you I am not surprised when you said it runs as a client, not a server. It is normally a server type application that is the one to accept incoming connections & sits there with the port(s) open waiting for a connection.

Is does make me wonder, why do you think that you even need to forward this port?

Keith

Participant

Hi Keith

I'm just following the advice given by the games Technical Support Team.

Link here : https://huntshowdown.kayako.com/article/71-error-0x30001-troubleshooting

I want to try every option that they are giving to see if it solves the problem.

If it does, great, but my gut fell is that it won't make any difference, and the fault lies with their servers or the latest patch caused some net stability issues.

I've tried netstat -a    and I couldn't see 61088 in the list of connections, open, or closed.

The games is on Steam, so it works through that client service.

Can you help me setup a static IP so that I can see if after that, and I forward the port, it makes any difference whatsoever ?

Community Star

As I said in my last post, no amount of port forwarding will work if the application (your game software) is not opening the port.

Keith

Participant

I Appreciate that.

When generating a ticket and talking to their tech support, they will ask, have you port forwarded x , and I will say , no, and they will then recommend that I do that, before they look into any further steps.

I should at least port forward, to be able to pass their checklist, do you agree ?

Community Star

You have already tried to port forward & the only thing stopping it from being a success was that their application is not opening the port. Tell them something like that, because it is them that is stopping it.

Keith

Participant

OK thanks Keith

I figure that it's something at their end and not mine, like you say.