cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Broadband connection dropping

akoumi
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 32

Hi support,

I have been experiencing my broadband dropping throughout the day over the last few weeks (since middle January 2024).

I have run a talktalk "run a healthcheck" from my TalkTalk MyAccount login and it came back as OK.

It has already occurred twice today at approx. 11:55hrs and 14:11hrs and the drop lasts for a very short time (approx. 1-5 secs).

I'd appreciate if you could please look into this and check the connection logs from your side, as this seems to be happening every day and been so for a good few weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 32

That is of course the problem where logs are filtered, it is easy to filter out what is causing the problem. The DNS entries are a bug that as I said I have raised previously with TalkTalk.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Franco_B
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 32

While I don't want to intrude on your thread, and since I can't see if you mentioned it happening on all devices or WiFi only devices, if the CCTV system is fine and not affected and it is only the wireless devices affected, have a look at your logs again with it set to "Info or Lower" see if you have this as an entry

Franco_B_0-1708005309956.png

because I've noticed this has been kicking our wifi devices off the network rather sporadically for brief periods of time.  I only noticed because we're having internet issues, so I've been trawling our logs - even the replacement router was affected, in fact it was far worse so it went back.

As for the DNS log entries, also had that but stopped after I put in a different DNS if I recall correctly. 

Message 23 of 32

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the update, all devices are wireless, apart from a cctv system. I'll accept this solution and do some further checks where i can gather more information and raise another support request if required.

It has been fine today with no drops so far.

Appreciate your support.

Regards

Andy

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 32

Hi @akoumi

All of the DNS errors are a bug in the System Log classification, setting them to "Error". These should be "Informational" and I have reported this to the developers via @Karl-TalkTalk.

Those logs only show DNS errors, so based on that there would seem to be nothing wrong with the router's stability during that time period.

When the connection drops, is this over a wired (Ethernet) connection, wireless or both?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 25 of 32

Excellent.  Keith knows his stuff, and we will follow his recommendation.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 32

Hi Karl,

Thanks for checking, logs have now been provided to Keith.

Andy

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 27 of 32

Hi Keith,

Please see attached logs (Warning or lower) for around the time one of the suspected drops occurred. Looking at the logs there seem to be a lot of DNS errors for related to one of our employers work laptops which uses VPN.

Thanks

Andy

0 Likes

Message 28 of 32

Hi @akoumi 

All tests here are clear and not showing any drops or errors on the line.

If you can get the logs for Keith, this can help.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 32

Then can you get me the system log that covers such a time period? This can be found by logging into the router & going to:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub > Maintenance > Logs

Keith

0 Likes

akoumi
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 32

I'm on Fibre-65 using the SAGEMCOM router. Unfortunately as the drops only last for a very short length of time (seconds) there are no signs on the router that anything has happened to connection, i.e. the LED is always white.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 32

What make/model of router do you have? If a WiFi hub, what happens to the light on the front panel when these drop outs occur?

Keith