cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Broadband getting slower and slower

Bumbly1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 20

I'm supposed to be getting a guaranteed minimum of 42mbps. Had a problem with my line (crackling) but didn't check the internet speed. An Openrech engineer found a problem down the street and corected it a couple of weeks ago. I checked my line speed on 1 March and was getting 40.2mbps. Checked it yesterday and it was 17mbps. Checked it today and it was 9.65mbps.

One possible problem with my router is that although the blinking light (orange) at the front comes on after it has been reset the white front ligh no longer appears. Any ideas please?

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

DLM is increasing the speed gradually so hopefully it will soon be back to your previous speeds.

This will then start to show in your speed test results.

0 Likes

Bumbly1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 20

Thankyou for following this up. I'm not quite sure what you mean by sync speed, however Speedtest shows download speeds of between 37.2 and 38.6mbps since Saturday. These are similar speeds to those I was getting last week. In November and December I was getting speeds of 40.1 to 43.9 but, since the fault was repaired I have not got higher than 38.6. I always use the same method for testing to ensure comparability. My router is directly attached to the broadband line into the house and I run Speedtest on my Samsung A52s phone held within 3 feet of the router so I was expecting comparable results. The only thing which has changed is the speed I am receiving.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi @Bumbly1 

I've checked the connection stats again and the sync speed has increased again from 43mb to 45.3mb.

How's the connection been over the weekend?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the sync speed has started to increase (from 40.7 - 43mb)

If the connection continues to remain stable then DLM may increase the speed further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

Thank you 🙂

I will post back here on Friday.

Debbie

0 Likes

Bumbly1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 20

Thankyou. I will do that.

Message 7 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

I'm glad to hear that the landline fault has been fixed.

In regards to the BB connection, please can power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then leave the router switched on for 48hrs (without rebooting) whilst DLM monitors the connection as it may increase the speed further.

I can then check the connection stats/speed again on Friday.

Thanks

0 Likes

Bumbly1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 20

Thankyou for your help. It got horrendously slow and internet kept going down but there is progress at last. The landline is now working properly. Internet download speeds now 35-38mbs - not quite up to the guaranteed 42mbs or the actual 40-43mbs which I got when I tested between October and December last year. I assume that it will eventually get closer to the guaranteed speed.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

Openreach have now closed the fault as resolved, is everything working ok now?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

This fault is still with the line engineer and it appears that they have located a fault and are working to fix this.

I will keep monitoring.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

I have spoken with Openreach this morning and they have advised that this fault is still under investigation and further updates should be available tomorrow 12/03.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Morning Bumbly1

I will contact Openreach this morning for an update and I will post back on this thread.

Thanks

0 Likes

Bumbly1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 20

Good morning. For your information my speed this morning is down to 4mbps (one tenth of 'guaranteed minimum) as tested using Speedtest on my phone three feet away from my router. I got a similar speed (3.92mbps) using my desktop computer using powerline networking.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

There are no updates from Openreach as yet, as soon as I receive further information then I will post back on this thread.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

I've checked for an update this morning and this fault is still with Openreach, there are no additional updates at the moment.

I will check on this fault again this afternoon.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

Thanks for your reply.

As the line test is detecting a potential line fault I have passed this straight over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer (external line investigation)

I will continue to monitor for updates and I will post back on this thread.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Thank you for your reply. Don't usually use the landline for phone calls so only usually notice it if we have a rare incoming call. I've just checked it and there is still a small amount of crackling on the line but nothing like as bad as a couple of weeks ago.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test and this is detecting a potential fault towards the property.

Are you still experiencing the crackling on the line at the moment?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 20

Hi Bumbly1

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes