cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Device MAC ID

VicF47
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 27

Hi ! I have been a TT customer for several years and currently have a Fibre65 contract.

When I run a speed test on TT website I get 77 Mbps at the router, but when I run a test on the devices I get less than optimal performance.  Before I look at trying to improve performance I need to identify the devices.  Several of the devices are identified only by what I think is the MAC ID, e.g. "48:9E:BD:C3:E6:CB".  In that spefic case I have been able to identify that as my recently installed printer, but the remaining items in the list are a mystery and do not match the MAC ID of likley devices, e.g. iPhones, IPad, Android pad, etc. At some point in the past I was able to label devices with names that meant something to me - some of those are still displayed (others are redundant/removed), but I cannot now find a way in to edit the labelling.  

Q1>  How do I match the MAC ID with the physical device?

Q2> Is it possible to edit the labelling of the devices with names that mean something as opposed to the MAC ID

TIA Vic

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

VicF47
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 27

Hi Keith, Thanks for your response and kind offer.

The router is a Sagecom ver: FAST FS364-3 T8.

Your comments seem to suggest that the environment might be the key issue and certainly the physical location of devices is not ideal.  I live in a 1930s house with 9" solid brick walls and brick internal walls rather brick-block cavity walls and stud partitioning. I also have a couple of other devices that need to be wired to the router. Cable management is a bit of an issue so evrything is hidden away in a cabinet which is probably not ideal.  Furthermore when I use the laptop although the router is less than 5m away there is a solid brick wall between them.  My office is upstairs and on the wrong side of a 9" wall so I seem to have broken every rule in terms of locating the router!

Having said that, the laptop performance does not increase significantly if I position it directly by the router.

Picking up ypur point about the wireless network adapters, I have just suprosed myself whentrying to answer a question about the full fibre connection. I thought that the internal wireless adapter card had failed some time ago and I have been using a Netgear USB plug-in wirelss adaptor, but I have just removed it and was still able to connect wirelessly so the card obviously works - I got a speed at the device of 45 Mbps which is only slightly less than I was getting yesterday using the plug-in.   Likewise my desktop computer - I use an ASUS plug in device.

Regards, Vic

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 27

Hi @VicF47 

Having had a chance to read through your last post now, it would seem that the new future fibre upgrade did not complete, as you are still connected via the master socket. I can see that @Michelle-TalkTalk has picked up your other thread about this & is waiting on your input on that.

Back to this thread, I can help with the wireless issues, it is probably not the PC & laptop themselves being old that is the problem (unless running a non-longer supported version of Windows), but their wireless network adapters that will be out of date I expect.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 23 of 27

Hello,

Thanks @KeithFrench 🙂

I've also just posted on your other topic.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 27

No problems, I will get back to you later today. Which make/model of router do you have?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

VicF47
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 27

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your response.  Yes you are correct the MAC address quoted is my HP Envy Inspire 7200e printer.

Not sure how to go about editing device names via router, but that can wait for the moment - I have other fish to fry that you may be able to help with but that will be a separate post.

All the devices that are slower are wireless and the speeds vary from 3 Mbps (with I think is a temporary state since I have seem it for different devices at different times when at other times those devices show higher speeds.  The average speeds across devices tend to be between 40 & 50 Mbps.  I am not sure whether this is a 'transmisson' problem or simply reflects that my main devices (laptop & desktop PC) are 10 years old and more and probably need replacing.

However, I am putting this on the back burner for a while: two days ago we had full fibre installed, but ever since then I have not been able to get internet access.  The TT service agents gave me all sorts of *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* and bull stories about waiting 11 hours and then turning the router off for 20 minutes and then restarting it. None of that worked and evetually the agent said " disconnect the router from the full fibre box and connect the broadband socket on the router to the BT master socket.  When I did that I got my internet connection back (hence this message).  Then earlier today I got an SMS from TT saying that they could see that my new full fibre installation was not connected and sent me a link to the set up page.  I followed that but it didn't work - still a solid amber light on the router. So my next move is to try and sort that out and then I will come back to the device issues.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 27

That MAC address is from an HP device.

You can edit device names with your router, but I don't think you can via MyConnection.

The devices that are slower than they should be, are they wired (Ethernet) connected to the router or wireless?

Keith