cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Do I need a VPN?

Gerro
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

I've got TT Fibre 900 with an Eero 6. I also have TT Supersafe.

I don't really know if I need a VPN. If so, what are to good ones and are they expensive?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 8

@Gliwmaeden2 @fr8ys 

You both make excellent points. Personally, I have never used any form of network level security, as I find them on occasion to be overweening. I have a a device based AV installed on my MacBook, which is excellent and free and there are many others out there. As for my iPhone, well, that's where the Apple closed ecosystem comes into its own. 

Message 2 of 8

@Gliwmaeden2 I hadn't seen that thread so thank you 

I think it depends on the devices you have. The Eero is fine when the devices are attached at home but if you have a laptop and or phone, you will use these outside if the home so I have kept mine to protect me when on different WiFi or phone networks.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 3 of 8

@Gerro, quite apart from the VPN, have you looked into whether you need to keep Supersafe?

The Eero has its own security system. 

Take a look at this discussion:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Keeping-your-Family-Safe/SuperSafe/td-p/3015712

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 4 of 8

As I said it really depends what you use the internet for.

Personally I don't use one but I know others who use them all the time, except when using Netflix UK and All4. They don't like them.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Thank you agian. Excellent article, very helpful.

Gerro
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

Thank you. Being lazy I didn't Google it. I wanted independent comments. Rather than google comments that are often biased. But thanks anyway, I'll read the link.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Only you can decide if you need a VPN.

It depends what you do online. Just moving to 900 does not mean you need one 

This article may help you decide and there are lots of similar articles if you Google it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/133680/htg-explains-what-is-a-vpn/

0 Likes