cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Intermittent Caller ID failure since switching to Full Fibre with digital voice

mk123
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 52 of 52

Hi

Since switching to Full Fibre with digital voice a few weeks ago my caller ID, which previously worked perfectly, now sometimes fails - sometimes when I receive a call it doesn't show any number. E.g. I have a regular caller who is calling from a traditional landline - sometimes it shows his name, sometimes does not. I am using a Hub 2, and the internet has been working well with no dropouts.

Thanks

0 Likes
51 REPLIES 51

Message 1 of 52

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. As the fault is intermittent then the next step would be to rule out any possibly issues with the handset.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 52

Hi, thanks. That's a shame. It occurs around once every three or four calls.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 52

Morning,

Unfortunately we don't provide handsets. How often is this fault happening at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 52

Well, Talktalk doesn't supply this sort of stuff for testing purposes.

I am in a similar boat, but with a different intermittent fault, and will probably end up spending on a new phone to check the service, when I have time to get down to it.

Regarding Caller ID: this has also intermittently not worked for me on the simple Fast Broadband (copper) service and simply normalises again most of the time. 

Given that Caller Identity Display can display spoofed numbers as though they were real, I don't really trust it to be that helpful or accurate anyway!

Don't depend on it, @mk123.

Thankfully they don't charge extra for it, as it does seem to be a somewhat flaky facility. 

Staff will be back on Monday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 5 of 52

oh, right. Yes, I do mean a landline handset. I can't really borrow one to test an intermittent fault that may not appear for more than a week... I don't know many others who still use their landlines, let alone with spares!

0 Likes

Message 6 of 52

You mean a landline handset, @mk123?

No they won't provide one. I'm afraid it might be a case of borrow one from friend / family / neighbour. 

0 Likes

mk123
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 7 of 52

Hi. The problem of caller ID still intermittently occurs, having done some restarts. I was advised by the technical team to try another landline handset to see if that solves the problem (which is strange because it worked flawlessly before the move to full fibre), but I don’t have any others I can try, and don't want to buy one if it might not even be the issue. Can TalkTalk provide a new landline to test if it fixes the problem please? I emailed the technical team with this query, but didn't get a reply (it's been 9 days). Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 52

Morning,

Thanks for the update. The router and the cables would need to be returned in the router returns bag please. I'd recommend just keeping a hold of the returns tracking number.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 52

I've never used it, but I should think there must still be a paper trail with Royal Mail for the service. 

Also, just taking a photo of the returns bag tracking number, you should still be able to trace its progress with Royal Mail. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 52

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to use the Royal Mail free collection service to minimise hassle - is this no good, ceritficate-wise?

Message 11 of 52

@mk123, staff will confirm whether you need to return everything or just the router etc.

Talktalk is supposed to confirm receipt of equipment, but I have found that I don't get told when they receive it.

It's very important that you keep a certificate of posting, as it shows when and where you posted it and the tracking number on the returns label. You can check its progress via Royal Mail. 

Then if there's any issue with £50, post back here straight away. Arne will make sure any wrong charges are reversed etc.

But do hang onto your evidence!

Message 12 of 52

Hi. When sending the router back, must I include the power cable (or keep it as a spare to use with the other one)? Cables? Box? And will TalkTalk confirm receipt of the router so I know I won't be charged the £50? Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 52

Ok I'll just keep to the original deadline of 25 July then

0 Likes

Message 14 of 52

Hi mk123

We can allow a couple of weeks for testing with the router before one router needs to be returned, will this be ok?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 52

Thanks. I understand one must be returned, but can the date be extended to the end of the contract so I can just send it all back when I'm done with TalkTalk? I've had the replacement router a week, but am still having problems with caller ID, and am not 100% about wireless performance between the two routers either, but haven't had the time to test these things properly yet.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 52

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately one of the routers would need to be returned as a charge would be applied if one of the routers is not returned to us. How long have you had the replacement router?

Thanks

0 Likes

mk123
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 17 of 52

I have received a request to post a router back. Can you postpone that until I (eventually) leave TalkTalk please? As right now I want to keep both to also test the wireless signal, but when I leave TalkTalk, I can just send back both in one go, without having to keep track of which is which and which works better. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 52

yes

0 Likes

Message 19 of 52

Morning,

Can I just confirm, have you been contacted since my last post?

Thanks

Message 20 of 52

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. I've passed this over to our Faults Escalation team now and will post back as soon as I receive an update. It's possible that the team may also try and contact you directly.

Thanks