cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Latency increased on line

the1bandit
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Hi TalkTalk

I've just noticed that my line's latency has increased (it would do this overnight occasionally but revert back). This seems to have stayed and I was wondering if this is a sign of issues down the line or increased contention?

Can someone look into it as the line test is also failing saying there is an error and to try again later....

I have attached some older line graphs showing the sort of clean line I used to have back in 2021 - much lower latency that has increased over the years.

I totally understand this is nit picking as it's in milliseconds but it would be good if someone looked into it on behalf of us all sharing the same lines in the area

TalkTalk 20ms.JPeGTalkTalk Jumping ms.JPeGTalkTalk After Aug 22 2021.JPeGTalkTalk Before July 13 2021.JPeG
0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Morning,

Ah right I see, thanks for confirming. It's possible that this may adjust again on it's own.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi Michelle

It wasn't about issues, more of curiosity and I wanted to know why my line would double in ping over the last few years.

I've had the perfect line and at the moment it seems very good just wondering why it would double for no reason my end that's all.

Hopefully when the FTTP line go in over the next month or so it will eliminate any issues

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. 20ms is within an acceptable ping range. Can I just confirm, what issues is this causing with the overall performance of the connection please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi Michelle 

Thanks for the message - it was a test done wired. But the monitor is constantly monitoring so I get a good picture of the line at all times.

I've checked today and the line has skipped up to 20ms and stayed there 😐 not sure if there's anything you can do but I'm guessing it's contention in the area/issues at the local hub...

Please see attached

Paul

Saturday 24th.JPEGMonday 26th.JPEG
0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Morning,

Thanks for trying this. Can I just confirm, was this last test completed when connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi Michelle

Apologies I haven't had the chance until this morning. I've done a 35 min shutdown of the router and reconnected the broadband monitor and it's showing a very slight improvement. It also showed last night the router did attempt to drop itself at 4am (which it can do most nights) but went back up a few hours later. 

We'll see how this goes as it's hard to see at the moment until the line gets to the left. My first impression is it's in between my normal 15ms and the higher 20ms.

Is there anything that could be causing this do you know? I know it's marginal but over the last few years it's gone up and up

TalkTalk June 23 2023.JPEG
0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Morning,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hello,

No, I understand. If it's not possible to do this during the day then please try this when it's next convenient.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Ok will do Michelle - hardest thing to do when you have 2 people working from home permanantly and a teenager who's wired in 24/7 😁

I'll come back to you

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Morning,

Thanks for your post. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats also look ok. Would it be possible to try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retest the connection again please, as this will reset the current session and can often improve the throughput speeds and performance of the connection.

Thanks