cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Modem dropping broadband

bbgabor
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

Hi,

I am experiencing broadband outage quite often which is a problem as both me and wife are working from home in two different timezones. I have tried reporting the issue and the tech support but I don't get further than resetting the router.

The router is fine, solid white light but the modem's "broadband" LED turns orange then flashes orange once or twice then starts to flash white.

The outage is very random, happens in the morning, in the evening, working days, weekend, you name it. Frequency is random too, sometimes I have issues all day, sometimes I have no issues for weeks.

I am with TalkTalk for almost 5 years now, for the first 2ish years I had no issues whatsoever. Then I renewed my contract and started to face these problems. After that contract expired I tried to switch to another provider but was convinced to stay, was sent a new router. Then as the issue was still there, I was sent a new modem too. (I had the white modem first, now I have the black one). 

In terms of the home setup nothing changed for 4 years, then I switched two laptops and a phone. The only thing I noticed (might be coincidence or completely irrelevant) that they started to work on the new provider's network in town Zoom or what are they called. They are not available on my address but saw their cars in the neighbouring streets.

As mentioned above I try the line check when I have the outage, then it comes back that there is a fault but then it tells me the fault couldn't be identified and I should try fix things on my end. The trouble shooter is useless. I have been trough this numerous times. Sometimes the outage resolves before the test finishes, that time I have an all good message just to have another outage 3 minutes later. Very frustrating, once I almost lost my job because my connection dropped while I was on a very important call. This is unacceptable. If there was an outage once or twice a year, I would be OK with that. But just recently I had about an hour today in the evening, then I had some on Sunday and before that on Friday. 

When I chat to support the furthest I get is to reset my router despite me trying to explain that the LED on the modem is blue for the WAN connection and is flashing for the broadband connection. Is there any possibility that the router can cause that or anything beyond the router? I doubt that but open to suggestions.

Once I was told they will send an engineer to my home but I have to pay up if they find something on my end. I am a bit afraid to do that as the line checks are coming back with no issues and if the engineer won't see the fault I fear I will be charged for it, which I don't want.

Any suggestions, solutions please?

Married with children
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12
0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Thank you, doing it now, will ping back if I have the issue again.

Married with children
0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

OK, could you connect the modem to the test socket and monitor to see if the disconnections continue. If they do then we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further - Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

We do not use the phone line at all, so I wouldn't be able to tell. I don't even have a device to test it.

Married with children
0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

OK thanks. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi Chris,

Thank you for picking this up for me! I have an old socket right next to the main door, not sure if it is connected at all. There is another socket which we use and it is in the living room. (this was the setup when I bought the house 5 years ago). It is a master socket 5c and the cable is plugged into the socket on the left which has a device icon underneath (on the right socket there is a phone icon and we don't use that at all).

That's what I know but happy to do other checks if you tell me what else to look for. Also I can send picture if needed.

Thank you,

Gabor

Married with children
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 12

Hi bbgabor,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. How many telephone sockets do you have in your home? Is the modem currently connected to your test socket? 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Thank you! I hope I gave the right number from the label. I add a picture of it just to be on the safe side.

Modem LabelModem Label

Married with children
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 12

I have not heard of the FAST4370, so I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Both are Sagemcom. Router is "FAST 5364-3 T8 and modem is "FAST 4370".  

Married with children
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

What make/model of router do you have? Your description of the lights makes it seem rather old.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes