cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

New Fibre Connection Is Just As Bad

Ryoma2040
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 70 of 70

I recently switched to fibre from the regular 'fast broadband' (Activated on the Tuesday, it is now Saturday) because of repeated problems with the line slowing, disconnecting and occasionally being off completely for days at a time. I was told by several people that those issues were due to the old copper line so swapping to fibre would solve that as it is a newer and completely different line.
Initially the speeds were about the same (3.1 Mbps down on copper vs 3.5 Mbps on fibre) and since I live in the middle of nowhere, this was pretty much what I was expecting.
However, on Thursday the connection dropped to 3.2 Mbps and on Friday was 2.8 Mbps. Now on Saturday it is 1.8 Mbps and I am being subjected to random disconnects again. So the issue has clearly not been resolved by swapping to fibre.

This morning I ran the line test on the TalkTalk website and it registered a fault on the line.
I tried to explain this to the TalkTalk team on Twitter who told me that my line was showing no issues and that I should be happy with my speed of 1.8 Mbps because that was slightly better than their last recorded test of 1.6 Mbps. They then attempted to blame my home devices for the issue and did not seem to understand that the connection itself was dropping and reconnecting slower each time.

This has been going on for a month now and I'm at the breaking point.
All connection speeds were taken from the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Dashboard and ARE NOT 3rd party speed tests. 

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
69 REPLIES 69

Message 41 of 70

It's good to go.

0 Likes

Message 42 of 70

OK thanks, just let us know when it's connected to the test socket and we'll run the  test

Chris

0 Likes

Message 43 of 70

I'll do that now. 
The voice service seems to be fine.

0 Likes

Message 44 of 70

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault towards the property. Would it be possible to connect the microfilter and router at the test socket please so we can re-run the line test again in this set up? Is the voice service also affected?

Thanks

0 Likes

Ryoma2040
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 70

It seems my issues have returned. I've been getting connection drops for the past few days but today has been by far the worst.
I have been disconnected several times today and the connection was at 1.6Mbps for the majority of the time it was connected.
It's varying wildly at times, dropping and increasing by as much as 60% of the highest speed between disconnects. 

0 Likes

Message 46 of 70

If you do experience any further problems just let us know

Chris

0 Likes

Message 47 of 70

So far I've not had any issues. Hopefully a bad socket was all it was.

0 Likes

Message 48 of 70

Morning,

I've just saw your post and I'm really glad to hear this 🙂 How has the connection been so far?

Thanks

Message 49 of 70

OK, thanks for the update 🙂

Message 50 of 70

An engineer has just been and replaced the phone socket. He said it may just be that it was damaged by lightning but he's going to do some more checks on the line to be sure.

0 Likes

Message 51 of 70

Ok thanks, I'll check for further updates later

Chris

0 Likes

Message 52 of 70

No, I haven't seen them at all.

0 Likes

Message 53 of 70

Morning,

No additional updates as yet. Have you seen Openreach outside the property?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 54 of 70

That's good to hear!

Thanks for keeping me updated.

0 Likes

Message 55 of 70

Morning,

It looks like they are working on the fault today so hopefully we will know more by this afternoon.

Thanks

Message 56 of 70

Good afternoon,

I've re-checked again and no additional updates as yet, the fault is still under investigation with Openreach. I will check again first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Message 57 of 70

Morning,

No additional updates as yet. We'll re-check again later on this afternoon.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 58 of 70

Hi,

No problem. We usually advise it can take between 48-72hrs but hopefully there will be an update at some point tomorrow.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 59 of 70

Thank you very much.

0 Likes

Message 60 of 70

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. As the line test has detected a potential external line fault, I've passed this over to Openreach now for an external line investigation to be completed. We will re-check again first thing in the morning for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks