cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

New router

cappadocia
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

Hello! I'm just about to renew my Fibre 65 and I was wondering if I could have the latest router for better performance. We've had the present model for some time now. Thank you very much!

Giovanni

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi cappadocia

I'm glad to hear that the WIFI performance has improved 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

No, I won't notice much different at all speed-wise. I can already tell you, though, that the wi-fi performance is much better.  

Message 3 of 20

Hi cappadocia

I'm so glad to hear this 🙂

I have sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 20

Perhaps just "different" technology rather than "new" technology.

Different routers will use chipsets from different manufacturers. Similarly, the boards in the fibre cabinet can be based on different chipsets. There are many variables. How the particular chipset in a router will interact with the chipset of the board in the cabinet and/or on a particular quality of phone line is not always easy to predict. The router that syncs at the highest speed for you may not be the one that achieves the best speed for someone else.

having said all that, is the difference between 75Mbps and 80Mbps really all that significant?

You'll see a slightly higher speed when running a speed test, but I can't imagine you'll notice any difference in real life internet use.

Message 5 of 20

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris

cappadocia
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 6 of 20

New router has arrived and it's all set up. I'm glad to report that it has synched at 80, which is awesome, since it previously synched at 75. So, new technology, new speed... 😉 Thank you very much!

Message 7 of 20

Morning,

Brilliant 🙂 We'll check back in with you in a few days just to check that everything is working as it should. Just shout if you need anything else.

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

Message 8 of 20

Hello!

Yodel tells me it's arriving tomorrow... 😀

Message 9 of 20

Morning,

How are you getting on? Has the router arrived?

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 20

@cappadocia ,

I don't think it's a question of whether you "deserve" a new router, as much as whether you "need" a new router. That's why I asked what features or "performance" you were looking to get from a router that you don't get with your current one.

Like you, I have been with TalkTalk for quite a few years now (ex-Tiscali customer) and like you I am on my 2nd router from them. They sent me a Huawei DG8041W about 2 and a half years ago when I upgraded from ADSL to FTTC (Fibre65). I used it for about 4 or 5 weeks until I got my own VDSL capable router. The TalkTalk one has been sitting in a cupboard since then. My previous TalkTalk router was an HG533 (I think) which sat in a cupboard for several years since I got it and was never used, as I already had a decent router.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hi cappadocia

Ahh you're welcome 🙂

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 12 of 20

Hello Debbie,

thank you! Very much appreciated!

Message 13 of 20

Hi cappadocia

I've ordered a replacement router and a returns bag so your current router can be returned.

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 20

Yes, I know & have informed TalkTalk of you having an HG633.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 15 of 20

Ok, thank you very much. Let's see what TalkTalk say.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 20

As to whether you "deserve" another router or not is not my decision. However, I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and see what they say.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk has responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

cappadocia
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 17 of 20

I just thought that a newer model would offer better performance.  Not correct?

I have a Huawei HG633, Hardware version H.1.01 . I have been with TalkTalk for many many years and I have spent many £££ with them. The present router is only our second TT router ever. Maybe we "don't deserve" another one?

Thank you for your input.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 20

What do you mean by "better performance"? TalkTalk generally don't supply a new router unless the one you have is actually faulty or suspected of being faulty. What model router do you currently have and what issues are you having with it?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 20

What make/model of TalkTalk router do you have currently?

Keith

0 Likes