cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

New Fibre Connection Is Just As Bad

Ryoma2040
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 70 of 70

I recently switched to fibre from the regular 'fast broadband' (Activated on the Tuesday, it is now Saturday) because of repeated problems with the line slowing, disconnecting and occasionally being off completely for days at a time. I was told by several people that those issues were due to the old copper line so swapping to fibre would solve that as it is a newer and completely different line.
Initially the speeds were about the same (3.1 Mbps down on copper vs 3.5 Mbps on fibre) and since I live in the middle of nowhere, this was pretty much what I was expecting.
However, on Thursday the connection dropped to 3.2 Mbps and on Friday was 2.8 Mbps. Now on Saturday it is 1.8 Mbps and I am being subjected to random disconnects again. So the issue has clearly not been resolved by swapping to fibre.

This morning I ran the line test on the TalkTalk website and it registered a fault on the line.
I tried to explain this to the TalkTalk team on Twitter who told me that my line was showing no issues and that I should be happy with my speed of 1.8 Mbps because that was slightly better than their last recorded test of 1.6 Mbps. They then attempted to blame my home devices for the issue and did not seem to understand that the connection itself was dropping and reconnecting slower each time.

This has been going on for a month now and I'm at the breaking point.
All connection speeds were taken from the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Dashboard and ARE NOT 3rd party speed tests. 

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
69 REPLIES 69

Message 61 of 70

There is a bit of a crackle on the line but there is still a dial tone.

0 Likes

Message 62 of 70

Hi,

Thank you. The line test is now detecting a potential voice fault. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone as this can affect the broadband connection?

Thanks

Message 63 of 70

Okay, I've plugged into the test socket.

Message 64 of 70

Hello,

The NTE5 5C main socket should have a test socket. Does it look like the below?

Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Message 65 of 70

There is no test socket as far as I can see.
It's a Master Socket 5C if that helps at all.

0 Likes

Message 66 of 70

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed is varying. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 67 of 70

One of the reasons I swapped to the fibre was that it was cheaper than staying on the regular broadband. I wasn't expecting any miracles in terms of speed but I did at least hope it would solve some of the issues with line quality.
I guess I'll wait until Monday then. Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 68 of 70

From what you have said, the only "Fibre" connection here will be between the telephone exchange and your nearest cabinet. The last part of the connection will be as it was, on the copper line to your home. And judging by the numbers you mention your cabinet is some distance away. That being the case, only a swap to a Full Fibre connection to your home would be likely to provide any significant improvement in speed. If that is not possible where you live then you have been somewhat misled in my opinion. Although, just to add to the confusion, so-called "Faster Fibre" services are these days generally cheaper than regular broadband. 

This has been escalated to the support team here for you and they will advise further when they are back online from Monday. 

0 Likes

Ryoma2040
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 69 of 70

This is what I'm dealing with. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Test.png
0 Likes