cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

New Fibre Connection Is Just As Bad

Ryoma2040
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 70 of 70

I recently switched to fibre from the regular 'fast broadband' (Activated on the Tuesday, it is now Saturday) because of repeated problems with the line slowing, disconnecting and occasionally being off completely for days at a time. I was told by several people that those issues were due to the old copper line so swapping to fibre would solve that as it is a newer and completely different line.
Initially the speeds were about the same (3.1 Mbps down on copper vs 3.5 Mbps on fibre) and since I live in the middle of nowhere, this was pretty much what I was expecting.
However, on Thursday the connection dropped to 3.2 Mbps and on Friday was 2.8 Mbps. Now on Saturday it is 1.8 Mbps and I am being subjected to random disconnects again. So the issue has clearly not been resolved by swapping to fibre.

This morning I ran the line test on the TalkTalk website and it registered a fault on the line.
I tried to explain this to the TalkTalk team on Twitter who told me that my line was showing no issues and that I should be happy with my speed of 1.8 Mbps because that was slightly better than their last recorded test of 1.6 Mbps. They then attempted to blame my home devices for the issue and did not seem to understand that the connection itself was dropping and reconnecting slower each time.

This has been going on for a month now and I'm at the breaking point.
All connection speeds were taken from the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Dashboard and ARE NOT 3rd party speed tests. 

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
69 REPLIES 69

Message 21 of 70

Morning,

Thanks for confirming this. The line test is now clear. Would you like us to arrange an engineer visit for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 22 of 70

Yes, there is a dial tone and the phone seems to work fine. At least at the time of writing. 
The problems with the internet are a lot worse when it rains, which seems to be a common occurrence with this line.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 70

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which has detected a potential voice fault. Do you currently have a dial tone on the voice service?

Thanks

Message 24 of 70

Th engineer came on Sunday 27th and "dried out a box that was full of water" and both my speed and reliability went back up instantly. 
It was more or less fine for the next 5 days but now it's back to disconnecting and this is the speed I'm stuck with.

Groan.png
0 Likes

Message 25 of 70

Hi

I've checked with Openreach, no updates as yet, but the fault is still in hand with them.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 70

Is there an update yet?

0 Likes

Message 27 of 70

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 70

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 70

Hi

I've logged this out to BT Openreach for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Check back in 24hrs for an update.

Thanks

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Ryoma2040
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 70

Been disconnected at least 4 times today and this is what I'm dealing with in terms of speed.

Cry.png
0 Likes

Message 31 of 70
0 Likes

Message 32 of 70

I did send it after I said. I'll try again.

0 Likes

Message 33 of 70

Sorry, I was waiting for the PM with your mobile number, you said you'd confirm it in a PM but I haven't received it yet

Chris

0 Likes

Ryoma2040
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 70

Is there any update on the engineer visit? I haven't heard anything and don't know when they're coming.

0 Likes

Message 35 of 70
0 Likes

Message 36 of 70

I can confirm that.
Any day or time is fine except for Friday PM.
I'll confirm the mobile number in a PM.

0 Likes

Message 37 of 70

OK. If you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 38 of 70

Yes please. 

0 Likes

Message 39 of 70

Test is still picking up a potential problem. To investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer visit, would you like us to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 40 of 70

Thanks, I'll run the test now

0 Likes