cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

New Fibre Connection Is Just As Bad

Ryoma2040
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 70 of 70

I recently switched to fibre from the regular 'fast broadband' (Activated on the Tuesday, it is now Saturday) because of repeated problems with the line slowing, disconnecting and occasionally being off completely for days at a time. I was told by several people that those issues were due to the old copper line so swapping to fibre would solve that as it is a newer and completely different line.
Initially the speeds were about the same (3.1 Mbps down on copper vs 3.5 Mbps on fibre) and since I live in the middle of nowhere, this was pretty much what I was expecting.
However, on Thursday the connection dropped to 3.2 Mbps and on Friday was 2.8 Mbps. Now on Saturday it is 1.8 Mbps and I am being subjected to random disconnects again. So the issue has clearly not been resolved by swapping to fibre.

This morning I ran the line test on the TalkTalk website and it registered a fault on the line.
I tried to explain this to the TalkTalk team on Twitter who told me that my line was showing no issues and that I should be happy with my speed of 1.8 Mbps because that was slightly better than their last recorded test of 1.6 Mbps. They then attempted to blame my home devices for the issue and did not seem to understand that the connection itself was dropping and reconnecting slower each time.

This has been going on for a month now and I'm at the breaking point.
All connection speeds were taken from the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Dashboard and ARE NOT 3rd party speed tests. 

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
69 REPLIES 69

Message 1 of 70

Good morning,

Sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test now which is clear. If the connection is still dropping at the test socket with 2 different routers then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property to investigate further.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 70

It's disconnected a few times today after being mostly stable.
It might have something to do with the wind but I don't know.
The sync speed at least seems fairly consistent still. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 70

Morning Ryoma2040,

I'm really glad to hear this and please do let us know if anything changes.

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 4 of 70

Initially it was maybe 2 or 3 times a day but the current connection has been active for a little over 2 days now at normal speeds, so fingers crossed it might be sorted.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 70

Morning,

Thanks for the update. How often would you say that your connection is dropping since the new router has been connected?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 70

Never mind. The return bag turned up in a separate envelope. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 70

The new router is set up and I swapped the cables too just to be sure.
So far the speed seems better but it still drops the connection every so often.
Also, there was no returns bag in the package.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 70
0 Likes

Message 9 of 70

Thank you. I'll let you know when it's all set up.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 70

Hi Ryoma2040,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of day

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 70

If you think it will help but I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the line.
It always is.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 70

Morning,

Would you like us to send a replacement router first to rule this out before we arrange an engineer visit to the property? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

Message 13 of 70

Cables and filters, yes.
Test socket, yes.
Unfortunately I don't have another router to test with.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 70

Hi Ryoma2040

Thanks for your reply.

Have you recently tested with a different router, cable and filter at the test socket?

The next step following this will be an Openreach engineer visit to the property.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 70

The phone service seems fine at the moment, or at least as good as it ever was.
The internet just keeps having random bouts of slow speeds and disconnects.
Right now it's at the speed I usually get and has been for a few hours but over the weekend it was disconnecting multiple times in the space of 20 minutes and the speed that it would connect at would vary wildly. Then it would be fine for a few hours before going back to disconnecting repeatedly. 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 70

Hi Ryoma2040,

Line test is pick up a potential problem, how is your telephone service at the moment, is there any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 70

Staff will reply during the week, @Ryoma2040.

For support over the weekend, contact Talktalk directly:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-contact-TalkTalk-Broadband/ta-p/2230529

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 18 of 70

It's disconnected several times in the last hour and is back down to terrible speeds. 
It hasn't even rained yet so I dread to think how bad it will be when it does.

BiggerGroan.png
0 Likes

Message 19 of 70

Hello,

Ok thank you for confirming. If it happens again the next time it rains then the line test may pick up a potential line fault that we can escalate to Openreach. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 20 of 70

If the line test is clear then I'll maybe hold off and see what happens the next time it rains.

It usually goes downhill pretty quickly when if water is getting in.

0 Likes