cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Now i am Fibre 150 with an eero router my Desktop computer has gone to snails pace !!

WHALLETT
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 33

Can anyone help here or an Talktalk expert. On Friday 19 July i went on Full Fibre 150, with a digital voice adaptor. The speed coming into my house is excellent at 151Mb, but I have noticed my desktop computer is running now at a snails pace.

When using say Chrome, it takes ages to find and download a file/subject. Although its high speed coming into my house, my desktop doesn't like it. Wish I could go back to the copper wire.

Are not the WIFI signal strong enough within my house to give it the power it needs. I have done a normal Talktalk speed test and it says 2Mbps, and I know this is nonsense.

My desktop WIFI is set at 2.4Ghz and I don't think I can change it.

I have tried lifting the desktop from the floor where its been for several years, putting now on a table in the same room, it makes no difference.

Any ideas how I can regain the speed I have lost since converting to full fibre. 

I’ve now updated my community profile as requested this morning. 

32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

Hi WHALLETT

I'm just sending you a Private Message.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 33

Michelle - Many thanks for your help last week, and also for putting me into contact with Keith. Keith was very knowable and an immense help.

He was correct that it’s much better to have the router away from the TV, and all other electrical devices. I have done my best to rearrange devices which are near the router, so now there’s a little more distance, and I think that has helped.

But I cannot with the best will in the world re-cable the router away from the TV owing much to my age and infirmity. It’s a great pity that this new router cannot stay in the same corner as all the previous talktalk routers I had over the past 20 years !!

As it is at the moment the signal appears to be weak in the back rooms and garden, I used to enjoy being on Wi-Fi in the garden, but that’s not possible now.

So to move things forward ..

Could you let me have an extender, if only to see if that resolves the problem ?

My son is going to order me a Wi-Fi dongle to insert into my desktop computer.

And failing that, I shall get an engineer to extend the router cable as Keith rightly suggests.

Regards ... Bill

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 33

@WHALLETT 

Chances are your old Hub will still work, you could try that.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 33

Hi @WHALLETT 

I don't know if TalkTalk will run Ethernet cables for you. @Michelle-TalkTalk what do you think?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 5 of 33

Thank you for your message Keith, I do appreciate your help, I hope I have not upset you in some way by talking the problem through.

I am 78 years old and disabled, so no way can I crawl around rerouting cables around my bungalow; I’m simply not up to it.  If I got down on the floor then I wouldn’t be able to get up again without sticks - lol

In all innocence I replaced the old talktalk router hub in the same position as the previous talktalk hub, and confirmed that with the Openreach engineer that all was ok before he fitted it, I had no knowledge then that I couldn’t do that until you said.

I don’t know where to go from here, whether to return the eero 6 and revert to the last talktalk hub, or get an engineer in to reroute the eero 6 cable elsewhere in the bungalow, I probably can’t afford the extra cost involved, or add a Wi-Fi extender or upgrade/replace my desktop ?

I really need someone to help me, should I get back to Michelle and ask what talktalk suggests ?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 33

Hi @WHALLETT 

If you want my help, then please do what I have asked repeatedly in previous posts. Otherwise, I will spend my time helping other customers.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 33

@WHALLETT 

I know that a single eero 6 is not necessarily as reliable as a previous TalkTalk Hub from my own experience, even in the same location. So I strongly urge you to follow all the advice you can get from @KeithFrench, including siting, there is nobody here better to help with WiFi issues.

Message 8 of 33

It’s very kind of you to help me. You can gather from my messages that I converted to full fibre last Friday. 

But up to now it’s stressing me out, it appears to be a backwards step for me. Hopefully talktalk will help me with the issues. 

The issues are  - it appears to me that the eero router signal is not strong enough to give me decent WiFi 6 metres away from the router, as my Desktop is not longer reliable. 

Also oddly now I don’t appear to have a signal anymore outside the house in the garden. 

Bear in mind that the new router is in the same room, and in the same location as my old router. 

Hopefully it might settle down after so many days I’m told. Also I am hoping that a router extender will boost the signal, but that’s up to talktalk to help me with some equipment. 

Your suggestion might be a problem as the Desktop PC is in another room, 6 metres away from the router, and I cannot see how I’m going to connect it up. 

It works by WiFi signal, now and prior to changing over to full fibre. 

Regards …

0 Likes

blodwynblod
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 33

hi, I couldn't get my eero to work properly too, try buying a gigabit switch plug the cable from the fibre terminal into that then connect the PC to the switch with a cat 6 patch cable and the eero with another one and you will get 150 by cable to the PC only 802.11 ac or ax will give you 150  over wifi . All domestic wifi power is limited by law to a fixed maximum there is nothing you can legally do to improve that.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 33

I can help you get one, but only after I have investigated the evidence of the state of your wireless network.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 33

Hello Keith

Sorry about that, I’m reading emails a bit out of sequence - lol

I will take onboard your comments about positioning of the eero 6, I will look at how far I can extend the cables. 

It could help if I had an additional eero 6 to be an extension in the “office“, is that something you could arrange for me ?

I’ve just seen this dongle on the internet, do you think this should improve my current 2.4Ghz on a windows 10

Thanks … Bill

from Bhallettfrom Bhallett

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 33

I have already told you how to install an additional eero in my last post. Please re-read it.

Metal, glass, some electronic components (particularly power supplies), magnetic equipment such as speakers etc are all things that interfere with the 802.11 Wi-Fi signals, whether the items are turned on or not. I can not stress this enough, so much so, that I have found this article for you, which is from eero themselves this time:-

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207897393-Where-should-I-place-my-eeros#:~:text=eeros%20w... 

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 33

Many thanks for all your help, I do appreciate it, I hope we can find a workaround solution together.

But I rarely if ever, have the television left on when I am in the office working on the desktop, It’s surprising that equipment which is switched turned off is affecting my desktop and iphone coverage.

Also I checked with the Outreach engineer that the position is sound for Wi-Fi reception, and he was happy.

Would an additional eero in the desktop room solve or at least improve the problem ?

If so how do i fit it, is it simply put into a power socket or does it want wiring in some way.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 33

Yes, you would just connect an additional eero to a power socket & add it via the app. However, until you address the current one's poor location, you are wasting your time. Please don't take my word for it, see this TalkTalk article:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Boosting-your-Wi-Fi-performance/ta-p/2895540 

Where it says:-

"The location of your eero is critical as your router needs room to breathe. Keeping your eero on a flat, open surface (ideally halfway between the ceiling and floor) and facing out into the room will give you the best results. You also need to keep your eero powered on, to ensure it receives essential updates to continue performing at its peak.

Placing your eero in a confined space like a cupboard or behind furniture will block the signal from getting where it needs to be. Similarly, keeping it away from other large electricals (TVs, microwaves, etc.) may further improve its performance. You may not have much choice over your eero's location based on where your fibre connection box is — experiment with a few locations if the length of your Ethernet and power supply cables allow."

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 33

I appreciate that you may not have the skills to determine what is wrong. That is where I come in as per my post #10, I do everything for you & totally free as well.

That is a terrible location for any router. It needs to be out in the open, away from any electrical equipment at all, it should also be as reasonably high as possible & in a central location of the property. This is the single biggest problem that you have & doing anything else will not do much to improve the signal at all. It must be moved to a better location.

If you think any router has to go near the full fibre ONT, think again. All you have to do is buy a Cat 6 minimum Ethernet cable of the right length to resite the router to a better location. If you are worried that it will look terrible, you can buy white plastic self-adhesive trunking & run that out of site, with the Ethernet cable inside. I have done this myself, running it along the top of skirting boards etc.

EDIT: there is a limit to the length of the Ethernet cable, it must not exceed 100M!

I never suggested that you get rid of the laptop at all. In my post #16, I said:-

"The laptop running Windows 10, means that there are many USB WiFi 6 or 6E adapters available."

Keith

0 Likes

Message 16 of 33

Do I just plug it into a power socket, I have no connections to make.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 33

Thanks for your help Keith

Thats true, I did discount straight away the rouge speed reading of 2Mbps.

For me its simply reliabilty, unable to get a reliable signal on my Desktop computer and also for example in the garden on my iphone, which I could before.

I am simply trying to say its not as good, for what ever reason as the prevoius talktalk hub.

I do not have the technical skills to define exactly what is going wrong, sounds like "strengh" of signal, but thats probually the wrong technical term.

The new eero stands where the talktalk router was prevoiusly. Its under the tv stand near the terminal which the Openreach engineer fitted on the wall, on the back are two ports, one is connected to that terminal on the wall and the other to the voice adaptor.

Nearby is a Humax tv pvr box.

Would you like me in insert a photo showing the eero in position ?

Rather than discounting the desktop is there anything I can do with it, such as inserting a device into one of my USB ports at the back ?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 33

Thank you for that information. That WiFi adapter is ancient, you will never get good results with it. The laptop running Windows 10, means that there are many USB WiFi 6 or 6E adapters available. The choice of which though, is down to you. You mention that speed is not an issue, but in your opening post you mentioned "I have done a normal Talktalk speed test and it says 2Mbps, and I know this is nonsense.".

Your lack of signal strength is not really the issue, it is the poor signal quality which will be the issue. This is not the same as signal strength, it is a mixture of signal strength and lack of WiFi interference. However, this is not something that can be determined by guesswork, hence why I have offered you my help. You cannot make any WiFi changes on an eero, that is all automatic. However, my help can ensure the best possible reception quality. The most important thing to consider with the eero is location. Where is it in the property & what is around it? If you give me the chance to analyse information from you, then based on what I find, if I think it will help you, I can make a recommendation that you have an additional eero. The 10-day period will not help you at all in matters like this.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 19 of 33

No, we just send it out

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 33

Thank you, but do I have to get an Openreach engineer in to do that

0 Likes