cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Reduction in sync speeds

philipm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 31

On returning from a week away I notice that my sync speeds had dropped, along with a commensurate fall in download speed. Normally I would be syncing around 47 or 48 down and getting a download speed of around 43 or even 44 mbps. This has now fallen to syncing at 40mbps, resulting in a download speed of 37mbps. Router has been powered off for 40 minutes then restated and that was 24 hours ago. No change.  Might not sound a lot but a 10-15% reduction in speed when I have people working from home and I cant get full fibre is, actually, a lot so I'd like to know what the cause is and for it to be rectified.

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 21 of 31

Hi.

I've received the new router but checked all the stats on the old one before switching.  Seems I am now back to syncing at 47.6 mbps which has given me a download speed on speedtest.net of 44.4 mbps. Exactly as it always has been. Not sure that the new router would improve on that. What do you think? Does what you see at your end suggest that I might be able to sync at any greater speeds? I am 0.4 miles from the green street cabinet by road so that has to be the maximum copper run. No doubt it's a lot less because I think the copper runs under the pavements.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 22 of 31

Message 23 of 31

Thanks. I'll come back on this thread after I've set it all up.

All the best.

Message 24 of 31

Hi philipm

We don't have a beta firmware sorry.

The router is on its way, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the speed compares with this router connected.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 25 of 31

Sure. Let's give it a punt, unless there's a beta firmware that we could try. 

I've got the Talktalk WiFi Hub 

philipm_0-1718703142720.png

Message 26 of 31

Hi @philipm 

Ok, would you like me to send a replacement router for testing first so we can rule this out?

0 Likes

Message 27 of 31

Yes, it is. It was moved there, years ago.

Nothing has changed for years so I cant see how I would suddenly be getting interference when I didn't have that problem a fortnight ago.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 31

Hi philipm

Is your master socket in the utility room?

Internal interference can affect the connection.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 31

Thanks for replying. Router is where it has been for the last few years. High up on a shelf in a utility room, in the centre of the house. Nearest electrical thing is a washing machine. Not sure how any possible local interference would affect the sync speed, though. Surely, that would be external. 

Regards

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 30 of 31

Hi @philipm 

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test is clear - No faults detected. It has picked up - Regular Interference Observed Daily.

Where is the router located? Is it near to any other electrical devices?

0 Likes