cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Slow Broadband Speed with Phone Extension

ribbal
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 5

I hope someone here can help with my slow broadband speeds.

My setup is that the router is plugged into the (NTE5a) master socket with a filter.  There is one phone extension with a phone is plugged in, again with a filter.  I get slow internet speeds (approx 12Mbps).

If I remove the master socket faceplate, and plug the router directly into the 'test socket', the speed jumps to a respectable 36Mbps!  Things I have done to narrow down the issue:

- removed the orange 'bell wire' from the faceplate ---> still get 12Mbps

- removed another wire from the faceplate, so there is only a single wire connected now ---> still get 12Mbps

- removed the last wire from the faceplate ---> the speed jumps to 36Mbps

So it looks like the phone extension is causing the problem, even though the router is plugged into the master socket.  The extension wiring is good quality 3-pair CW1308 (not the cheap flat under carpet wiring), and is routed through the ceiling to a back bedroom (so can't be replaced easily).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be fixed?  Currently, the extension wiring is disconnected, so I have no working landline phone, but have fast internet speeds.  There is only the single phone extension.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 5

Hi @ribbal 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with this.

You need to make sure that the correct wires on the phone extension are connected to the correct terminations both inside the master socket's faceplate and your extension socket. First the cable must be a pair, e.g. White/Blue and Blue/White, not a mixture involving say one orange wire, the bell wire is not needed.

With the faceplate removed on the NTE 5C, there is a blue or clear flap where the IDC connection is. This is where your phone extension wiring should connect to, nowhere else. Connect the White/Blue to pin 2 and the Blue/White to 5, pushing the wires all the way in (there is no need to remove the outer sheath of each wire). Once both wires are pushed home through the blue or clear flap, close the flap so that the wires make good contact. At your extension socket connect these two wires in exactly the same orientation. If this does not solve the problem, then remove the wires from the extension socket. If the speed returns to what it should be then the extension socket is at fault, if it is still slow then your cabling is at fault.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 5

No problems @Michelle-TalkTalk I will look at this later today and contact @ribbal 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 5

Morning,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any advice please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes