cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Slow Fibre 150 - Multiple engineer visits already

DanielGaze
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 30

Hi there, I have seen a few posts regarding slow speeds with Fibre 150 that seem to be similar to the problems I have been experiencing (since contract started really)

I seem to be almost always achieving only approx 35-39 MB download speeds instead of anywhere near the guaranteed minimum. If you were to look at the daily/monthly average speeds over the course of the contract (which I imagine can be done), you'd see that it averages out at about 35MB.

I've had 3 visits so far (possibly four including today!) and many many hours on Chat or Phone. The Chat is incredibly useless unfortunately, although I appreciate they are running through scripts. I connected via ethernet to the router to test speeds (same result) but the chat suggested WIFI Guides and tips (makes no sense!)

I'm not sure where to go with this really, in the 3 visits I've had the engineer has done 'something' which has increased speeds to 95-99MB, still under the guarantee but better. Each time though, after a week or two, the speeds fall to 30MB again. I should raise this more each time, but as I'm sure you can appreciate it is really painful to do so. 

Todays engineer visit was signed off as resolved with no change to speeds at all - not sure they did anything really.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, if its not resolved this time then I'd definitely be looking to initiate the 30 day non-resolved cancellation policy (with no charges), as it's been a long and painful road trying to get the speeds I pay for.

Thanks and apologies for the wall of text!

Dan

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 21 of 30

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply.

I think we will need to arrange another Openreach engineer visit, apologies for this.

Just to confirm, we have recently sent you a new router?

When Openreach last attended did they replace the BT modem?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 30

Hi Debbie thanks very much for getting back to me, I can confirm that the whilst there is a landline it is not in use - there's no phone currently plugged into the socket or filter or anywhere. 

In terms of sync speed I understand this to be the speed between the router and the exchange box? Just for info the nearest exchange box is approx 2 minutes walk up a very minor incline. I dont know if it's related at all, but when I do the usual Broadband deal checks (entering a postcode and house number), for most providers I only seem to be given packages up to 70mb? I don't quite understand why they aren't providing the potential for more expensive higher speed packages.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 30

Hi Dan

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line test is detecting a potential fault with the voice service and this can affect the BB connection.

Do you use the landline for calls? I can also see that the sync speed is low.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 30

Ok lovely thanks Keith, much appreciated

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 30

Thanks for that.

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 26 of 30

Hi Keith, I connected my laptop directly to the Open Reach modem (in place of the router LAN cable) but no change. I also restarted the modem and waited as suggested to repeat the test - no change there either

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 30

Thanks for that. What happens if you connect the laptop via an Ethernet cable connected directly to the ONT in place of the Sagemcom and do a speed test from there? If the speed is no better there, please can you turn the ONT off for a minimum of 30 mins & retry that speed test. Then let me know the result.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

DanielGaze
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 30

Keith thanks for responding, its the TalkTalk Wifi Hub - Sagacom (does that help?) And this affects both wireless and wired - I tried ethernet directly to the router via laptop and ran a speed test. No change

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 30

Hi @DanielGaze 

Which make/model of router do you have?

Does this only affect wireless connected devices or wired (Ethernet) ones as well?

Keith

0 Likes