cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Speed issues and unusual usage

JP1905
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

I'm having some strange issues since Wednesday (19/07/23) when I noticed my router rebooted itself in the early hours of the morning.

I normally get around 70mb, but since then my speeds have gone down to 50mb. Sometimes the speed returns to normal, but the goes back to 50mb again. This can happen multiple times a day. It's like it's switching between the two speeds. 

Another issue I've noticed since Wednesday is that the router seems to be constantly downloading data as indicated by the download icon/arrow being almost always lit. I've checked other devices and they have the same issue. I also checked my usage on your website and it was 30gb on Wednesday alone. This is not normal and only started happening after the router rebooted itself.

I've also had some wifi dropout.

My line speed to the router is fine according to your website and I've tried turning the router off for 30+min but that did not help.

What ever happened the issues started after the router rebooted itself Wednesday morning. Was that for a router update? If so its really messed things up for me.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Morning,

How has the speed been since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Did you have a chance to try the 30 minute router power down to see how the speeds compare?

Thanks

0 Likes

JP1905
Team Player
Private Message
Message 3 of 7

I've figured out the unusual usage on Wednesday. I failed to take into account the many speed tests (too many lol) I was doing throughout the day. I feel a bit silly not realising that at the time, but at least that is one of the issues resolved now.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Have you tried powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retested the speeds again as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds.

Thanks

0 Likes

JP1905
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

It's a Sagemcom-FAST5364 and the problems only started after the router rebooted itself Wednesday morning, everything was fine until then. 

Also the constant downloading is concerning because it's happening on multiple devices and again it only started after the router reboot itself.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

Which make/model of router do you have? If the WiFi is dropping out that may indicate an issue. The support team will look into this for you as soon as they can, but bear in mind that they won't be back online until Monday.