cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Upload speed

familym
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

I have a new contract and it’s states minimum speeds of 100 mbps download (which I guess is close but never exceeds this) but 21.2 mbps upload speed - I never have had more than 10% of the download speed

Everything else is fine - connections/kit etc - just it appears that the config is capping my upload speed to c. 10 mbps (and download seemingly capped at 100 - never at the estimated range of 117.8 Mbps to 145.4 Mbps.

Can this please be checked and changed to meet the minimum that I am paying for and ideally the estimated speeds please?

Many thanks

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

How are you testing the download speed ?

If it is over ethernet could the adapter you are using on the device be only capable of 100 Mbps itself which would limit your speed.

My USB-C to LAN adapter is only capable of that speed and my old PC's adapter only had a 100 Mbps LAN card.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 6

@familym ,

Were you getting faster speeds before you renewed your contract?

The statement "minimum guaranteed download speed of 100.0 Mbps and upload speed of 21.2 Mbps" is rather badly worded and can be read in different ways. Personally, I think that the way the sentence is worded implies that both the download and upload speeds quoted are guaranteed minimums, which is possibly the way you have read it also. What they actually mean is that the quoted download speed is guaranteed. The upload speed mentioned is just an estimate, but they don't make that point very clear.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Michelle - nothing has changed apart from a new contract - the detail I refer to is lifted directly from the new contract summary in the minimum guaranteed download & upload speed section:

Extract:

Speeds of the internet service and remedies
You can look forward to an estimated download speed between 117.8 Mbps and 145.4 Mbps with a minimum guaranteed download speed of 100.0 Mbps and upload speed of 21.2 Mbps

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Morning,

Unfortunately we can't manually adjust the upstream speed as this is determined by the stability and performance of the line. Has the set up changed since this was installed by the engineer.

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

Upload speeds don't have a guarantee. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes